Help Asap!

Decorating By sleepy20520 Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 6:38pm by ittybittybakery

sleepy20520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy20520 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 14

So this may seem like a REALLY dumb question but iim gona ask it anyways.... For some reason, i made the wrong size cake. Im making wedding cake and was suppose to do a 6,8,10" circles but instead made 8,10,12".... is it ok to just cut the ones i made down to the correct circle sizes instead of making all new ones? will thsi make it look bad or cause any structural problems? I was thinking it would be ok since i make carved cakes all the time but i just really am looking for some advice here! Thanks a ton! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 14

It looks like you only have the 12" that's the problem. Why mess up the others if all you need is the 6" cut? Or freeze the 12" for another day and make a fresh 6". No wasted cake then.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 14

Yes you'll be fine to cut the smaller sizes out

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 14

You certainly can cut them down with no problem.

Since you already have the 8 and 10, you may be able to cut two 6-inch layers from one of your 12-inch layers, then you'll have an extra 12-inch you can freeze for later. Failing that, you could still cut a 6-inch from each 12-inch layer and use the rest for cake balls. icon_smile.gif

ittybittybakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ittybittybakery Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 14

the only issue I foresee is that it'll make icing them a bit more tedious as the edges will not be as finished/firm as the original; hence you'll also have a harder time getting a nice straight edge with your fondant (if you are using fondant).

Have you considered asking the client if they would mind the free upgrade to a larger cake (and just keep them as they are? I can't imagine most non-bakers would even notice the nuance to be honest).

At the very least, I'd only cut down the 12" to 6" and keep the 8" and 10" ones you have as is. Perhaps the flavors wont be in the right order, but I think the less you mess with cutting these things the better (rather have just one tier giving you grief vs. all 3!). Plus, I think cutting a 12" down to a 6" will give you lots of area to work within, so you get a nice clean cut. Cutting 1-2" from the edge of the others will probably prove a bit more tricky.

just my POV and I'm by no means an expert! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 14

I agree with the others. I would keep the 8&10 and probably bake the 6" if I had time. If not I would cut the 6" from the 12" cakes.

sleepy20520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy20520 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 14

wel the problem is they have 3 diff flavors they wanted in each tier so id have to cut them all down... cuz they wanted specific amount/servings of each flavor. so i can either give them the free upgrade or just cut them down. if structure isnt an issue, the only issue i see is icing it (they dont want fondant) so i may have a heck of a time with the chocolate layer and the crumbs! lol maybe a free upgrade is the way to go....? icon_smile.gif THANKS EVERYONE!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 14

If that's the case I would keep the sizes if that is ok with the customer and save myself the headache of trying to ice those raw edges.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 14

I would just give them the bigger cake, especially since you aren't doing fondant.

stewy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stewy Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 14

free upgrade for sure!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan

I would just give them the bigger cake, especially since you aren't doing fondant.

Yep. Not worth the headaches or extra baking time. Just tell them they hit the cake jackpot & be done with it.

Nobody ever complains about extra cake.

Rae

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 6:13am
post #12 of 14

Personally, I don't like the look of starting with an 8-10-12" cake. If the customer is fine with it, then ok - but I would cut them all down. A good crumb coat will fix buttercreaming issues.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 6:30am
post #13 of 14

Well, other option would be to ADD a 6" tier..............not much cake or work. Nice presentation.

Rae

ittybittybakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ittybittybakery Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 14

I agree... adding a 6" is actually an excellent suggestion. Will still give the taller silhouette they/you may have originally intended and is minimal work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%