Number Of Cookies Per Guest

Baking By drdm99 Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 7:07am by scp1127

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 10

I can use some insight into how many pieces of pick up desserts (cookies, brownies etc.) we will need to serve 200 people. This is for a small school fundraiser in which there will be a speaker and after, dessert and coffee willl be served. All desserts will be baked by the families. Any help is appreciated!
Debbie

9 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 10

Hi,

Most ppl at gateherings usually pick up at least one of each dessert, depending on what they like or may want to try for the 1st time. so its hard to put a number on it. But, If I was doing this I would make at least btwn 400-500 pieces just to make sure there is enough to go around at least once and twice for different desserts. JMO

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 12:10am
post #3 of 10

Thanks. I was thinking to plan 3 pieces per person. This is a mixed bag of people, some who love their sweets and quite a bunch of them who wouldn't dream of touching a baked good...oh to have that willpower!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:57am
post #4 of 10

LOL, I know, right, lol icon_smile.gif

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 10

If you have more than 2 or 3 different treats, you may run across the problem of people wanting to try one of each. If you do have more than 2 or 3, then I'd cut them in smaller sizes (such as 1"x1" brownies rather than 2"x2" brownies) so people can sample each one.

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 12:10am
post #6 of 10

The wedding planner I work with to do cookie tables at weddings suggests 2 cookies per person for 75% of the guests. I do large 3-4" drop cookies. If we are bagging iced cookies we do one per person.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:14am
post #7 of 10

Will children be attending the function? I just went to a Cub Scout annual meeting last night with about 30 kids and 30 adults.

I brought about 50 chocolates (molded fleur de lis), and there was a 1/2 sheet cake cut into 2x2 slices, and grocery store chocolate chip cookies which were about 3" across.

The chocolates were all gone. The cake was only about 1/2 gone, the cookies were all gone. The kids were each eating 2-5 cookies. The cookies were by far the most popular.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 5:19am
post #8 of 10

I do cookie buffets and dessert buffets. If a lot of choices are available, I suggest 3 per person with no other dessert. This will account for the ones that take a ton and the ones that don't eat at all. You will have some left over, but you won't run out.

I do exactly as Spooky suggested. Make each serving a bite to two bites. I use my regular batches and make them much smaller. Put them in those inexpensive mini cupcake liners and it makes them easy to pick up. Plus the plate looks much more full.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I do cookie buffets and dessert buffets. If a lot of choices are available, I suggest 3 per person with no other dessert. This will account for the ones that take a ton and the ones that don't eat at all. You will have some left over, but you won't run out.

I do exactly as Spooky suggested. Make each serving a bite to two bites. I use my regular batches and make them much smaller. Put them in those inexpensive mini cupcake liners and it makes them easy to pick up. Plus the plate looks much more full.

scp~~You ALWAYS come up with the best, concise, practical solutions and suggestions. I love your posts.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 7:07am
post #10 of 10

Apti, your are just as good. I was just reading one of yours and I think I saw some unicorns and rainbows... something people wish I would add. You are very nice in your posts, but still to the point. I really like reading your point of view.

On this one topic, I learned by experience. When I first started the buffets, I added cookies at no charge to make sure I was right. After the first two, with a guest count, original cookie count, and ending count, this was the number. Since then, it has worked. Some will eat ten cookies, but many eat none.[/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%