Photoframe Stand Up

Decorating By kylz Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 12:33am by Soco119

kylz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylz Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 8:16am
post #1 of 7

Hi there, I have a justin bieber cake to do this week and will use an edible image inside an icing frame, does anyone know how I can stand this frame up so its on a slight angle, I'm not sure if i would just replicate a whole frame including the back stand? any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 7

You can place the image on gumpaste, design the frame around it with the gumpaste, once it drys you can stand it up any way you would like to.

kylz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylz Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your help, Im not quite sure how exactly to stand it up, I want it on top of the cake. But what would i put behind it? If you get me icon_smile.gif

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 7

Hi kylz,
Whe I made this cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2116134/snow-white I used a gumpaste plaque and sort of a right triangle piece, wich after both where dry made the frame.
Make the triangle with the angle you want your frame to be.
Hope it makes sense[/url]

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 7

I have made a standing picture with a frame that stood on its own. I used a real picture frame that I already had as my guide. I cut a piece of fondant mixed with tylose powder to the size I wanted, probably about 3x5 or 4x6 I can't remember exactly. I attached an edible image to the fondant plaque. I cut strips the size I need for each side and top and bottom for the front of the frame and cut them so the corners were mitered. I then let them dry and then attached them to the front of the plaque.

I used the back piece (that props the frame up) from the real frame and used it as a templete to cut a piece for my edible frame. It was allowed to dry hard. I attached it to the frame with melted chocolate.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 7

You can also create a spike at the bottom of the frame that will stick in to the cake, then you wont see any back pegs.

Soco119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soco119 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 12:33am
post #7 of 7

Hi I made this exact cake a few months back and originally made a backing on the frame for it to stand up just like a frame would. The front part turned out to be too heavy and started to bend back so i then stuck a wooden dowel down through the cakes and leaned the frame up against that, it worked perfectly! To make it more visually appealing from the back I sandwiched the dowel between two pieces of flattened gum paste to make it look like part of the frame. I don't have a pic from the back but here's my cake. Next time I would get the pic printed out a bit smaller so it wouldn't be so heavy. It's all trial and error for me at this point!

Amy

Edit: sorry can't attach pic from iPad but cake is in my gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%