Is There A Trick To Getting Nicely Cooked Cupcakes

Baking By Krista512 Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm by HappyCake10609

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:29am
post #1 of 2

Every time I make cup cakes they are never uniform.

I will bake 2 dozen at once using 2 pans side by side on the top rack. If i put any on the bottom the bottoms of the cupcakes burn bad before the cake is even cooked all the way.

The bottoms will usually be dark brown on some spots and light on others. And the side and bottoms of the cup cakes never match.

Also I can't seam to get the same size cup cakes even though i'm using an ice cream scoop.

Please help

1 reply
HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 2

It sounds like you probably have "hot spots" in your oven. Try rotating your pans mid-way through cooking. This should help keep some from getting darker than others...

And if you are using a scoop then they should be portioned evenly, it's probably just the higher heat in some areas causing those cupcakes to rise more, rotating should help with that too...

And finally, are both pans the same type of pan? I have 2 different kinds that I use, one is a lighter metal and one is darker... the darker metal one always cooks faster so I have to be careful if I'm using both types at the same time... to check for done-ness more often and take the darker pan out sooner (I only use those pans when I have to because the bottoms of light-colored cakes tend to get darker than I like regardless)....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%