In Your Opinion, Which Is Best?

Decorating By lanisia88 Updated 15 Feb 2012 , 7:43pm by sabre

lanisia88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanisia88 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 3:48am
post #1 of 18

Which is the best premade fondant? I've used Wilton...don't like it..I used Fondarific, it's much easier to work with and tastier! but which is your favorite? I want to try different brands but not sure which to choose.

17 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:24am
post #2 of 18

I love Satin Ice

lanisia88 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:38am
post #3 of 18

I was thinking of trying that one...is it tasty? easy to roll out?

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:47am
post #4 of 18

Ditto Satin Ice! I've tried Wilton and Duff's brand and like Satin Ice the best. thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:27am
post #5 of 18

Yes and yes

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:27am
post #6 of 18

Satin Ice, Wilton, Fonderific... all taste like cheap chemical paste. Disgusting.

Carma's Massa Ticino Tropic is hands down the absolute best there is, period. It's costs a lot more but it's well worth it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:01am
post #7 of 18

Every paste has its place.

Wilton is great alone for covering dummies or adding tylose to for a nice gum paste.
Satin Ice has great colors.
Duff's is Fondarific in a different label. It's candy melt based and has 3X the fat of other fondants.

If you don't like the taste of Wilton, mix it with either of the other 2 and you get a great working & tasting product.

Massa Grischuna from Albert Uster is nice, but also very pricey.

I also like FondX. Sometimes a bit soft, but again, with a bit of Wilton added, it's perfect. Their color range is wonderful and when it's on sale, it's a real bargain.

I think the key is to never put it on too thick. And I tell people who aren't familiar with fondant to just eat the cake slice from the bottom up. If they want to try the fondant, then they can do it without it coloring their perception of the entire cake.

Rae

lanisia88 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:18am
post #8 of 18

Thank you for all your opionions! I made my own MMF today and oh my gosh.... it was so messy and time consuming but cheap to make but I think I'd rather pay alot more for the convenience of having it pre made icon_smile.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 18

I'm a AUI Massa girl. Wonderful to work with, tastes good. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. If you order $195 you get free shipping. Plus, my AUI rep calls me monthly to check on me and answer questions. I only wish they offered pre colored black and red. They have purple and orange....not something I'm bound to use a lot of!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I'm a AUI Massa girl. Wonderful to work with, tastes good. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. If you order $195 you get free shipping. Plus, my AUI rep calls me monthly to check on me and answer questions. I only wish they offered pre colored black and red. They have purple and orange....not something I'm bound to use a lot of!

Yeh, I love Massa Grischuna, too, but rolling out one "couture" color per year isn't doing it for me and I hate the huge upcharge for the Americana. I don't like the translucency of the Neutral.

They're really missing the boat because it's too convenient to have pre-colored gem tones & black on hand. Satin Ice got that one right real fast and now FondX is doing a great job with pre-colored options, too.

People complain about Wilton being too "home decorator" oriented, but AUI has catered to the cruise and hotel industry and they're only just now getting around to the smaller guys. Maybe in a few years............

Rae

CreativeCakeFactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakeFactory Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 18

I used to use Satin Ice and hated how it created the elephant skin appearance. I worked very quickly and it never came out perfect.

Now I use FondX and its wonderful. I would love to use Massa but its too pricey for me. (Massa is $62 for 13.2 lbs and FondX is $32 for 10lbs.)

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 18

CreativeCakeFactory,
Have you rolled out the Satin Ice in The Mat? That seems to keep it from drying out and getting the elephant skin look.

mymyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymyb Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 18

I also love love love Satin Ice, tried many other ones: petinice, wilton, balina, none was as good as Satin Ice.
But because it´s so hard to get it in Europe, I keep looking and recently I have tried and loved Callebaut´s fondant. Don´t know if you have it in the USA, but it´s also a great one, tastes great and is very easy to work with. I now alternate from one to the other depending on the cake and on the taste I want to give to my finished cake (Callebaut´s fondant has a more sugary taste and no vanilla)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Feb 2012 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 18

I love Satin Ice also, but I also like PettinIce. I started mixing Satin and Wilton about 50/50. You get the better workability of the Wilton (and the cheap price) and the better flavor of SatinIce. FTW!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 12:54am
post #15 of 18

I use Satin Ice Buttercream Fondant. It has a better taste than the regular Satin Ice. I've never liked Wilton, but haven't tried mixing it in with another brand. I've also tried Duff's red, but it seems to take forever for it to dry and never fully does.

chocolate_luvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate_luvr Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:04am
post #16 of 18

Satin Ice all the way icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:41am
post #17 of 18

ditto on Satinice buttercream flavor. It IS better than plain vanilla SatinIce.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 7:43pm
post #18 of 18

I've used Satin Ice, Pettinice, Fondarific, Wilton and Fondx. FONDX makes great fondant plus you can add Tylose to it for a smooth workable gumpaste. Pettinice makes great gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%