Clear Cellophane For Cake Boards

Decorating By blueangel174 Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 7:31pm by sillywabbitz

blueangel174 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueangel174 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 3:18am
post #1 of 7

I've read that several people have used wrapping paper to cover their cake boards and that they put clear cellophane that is food safe over the top of it. I usually use the Wilton fanci-foil wrap on my boards. If you use wrapping paper and the cellophane, do you have to put a cake board under the cake itself or will it work putting the cake directly on top of the cellophane. I wasn't sure how easily cellophane cuts when you go and cut the cake.

6 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:33am
post #2 of 7

It doesn't matter what I'm covering my cake boards with, I always have a cake cardboard under my cake. It just makes it easier to work with when icing or covering with fondant.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:45am
post #3 of 7

I've made cakes for friends that I put on giftwrap/cello covered boards and when I get the boards back (my friends are into recycling), there are no cuts in the cello. I use only food-safe cello, and no cardboard under the cake. Makes it really easy to clean up icing crumbs, etc.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:12am
post #4 of 7

I always put my cake tiers on their own boards. Makes it easier to move around, always fits in the fridge (if necessary). I also never have to clean up the decorative under board, either. Sit the cake on, pipe the border, and go.

Rae

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 7

I do use cello (food safe) over my boards but I normally have a cake board under the cake. It makes it very easy to move the cake, it's cleaner as mentioned above. The only time I put a cake direclty on a drum is if it's a single layer of cake...like a sheet cake etc and it won't be too hard to clean up.
One of the ladies in my cake club, suggested melted chocolate around the cake board. I tried it yestarday and I love it. Super quick to do, cheap and can easily be color matched. I applied mine with a paint brush which gives the effect of fabric, next time I'm going to see if I can color my board and pour it to get a smooth finish. I have to say, the choc beat covering it with paper or fondant hands down!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I do use cello (food safe) over my boards but I normally have a cake board under the cake. It makes it very easy to move the cake, it's cleaner as mentioned above. The only time I put a cake direclty on a drum is if it's a single layer of cake...like a sheet cake etc and it won't be too hard to clean up.
One of the ladies in my cake club, suggested melted chocolate around the cake board. I tried it yestarday and I love it. Super quick to do, cheap and can easily be color matched. I applied mine with a paint brush which gives the effect of fabric, next time I'm going to see if I can color my board and pour it to get a smooth finish. I have to say, the choc beat covering it with paper or fondant hands down!

Not understanding what you did here. You applied melted chocolate to the cake board itself? Wouldn't it crack easily?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 7

carmijok,
I applied the chocolate directly to the cake drum. I use drums almost exclusively on my cakes. This was one of the wilton foil drums. I traced the cake pan on to my board and applied choc around the edge. I did 2 coats because the first coat was a little transparent. I let the chocolate set up naturally (freezing I suspect would cause it to crack) . then I placed the cake on top. I'll post the pic here but it's the same cake I posted that I wasn't that happy with. By the way thanks for sharing your cream cheese frosting recipe.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%