Testing Scratch White Recipes, Rebecca Rather Questions.

Baking By LoriMc Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 12:51am by LoriMc

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:23am
post #1 of 10

Trying to find a good scratch white cake recipe here! I have researched for days, and came up with four recipes to test.

Tonight I did King Arthur Elegant cake recipe, and the Rebecca Rather White on White Buttermilk cake.

King Arthur looked and tasted great.

White on White tasted fabulous to me, but shrunk and pulled away from the cupcake papers. Also got really brown and kind of crunchy on top.

Has anyone else had this problem with the White on White recipe? I'd love to use it, but I don't like how it shrinks!

9 replies
GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

I've been using the White on White recipe for a number of months, but I've never had it shrink, although I most often bake it as a cake, not cupcakes.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:21am
post #3 of 10

Try Swans Down cake flour.
www.SwansDown.com has some tasty recipes.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:01am
post #4 of 10

I have never had that problem with the Rebecca Rather WoW. I really love that recipe, although some of my extended family members think the buttermilk "tang" is too strong. No idea what to suggest really, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:03am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Trying to find a good scratch white cake recipe here! I have researched for days, and came up with four recipes to test.

Tonight I did King Arthur Elegant cake recipe, and the Rebecca Rather White on White Buttermilk cake.

White on White tasted fabulous to me, but shrunk and pulled away from the cupcake papers. Also got really brown and kind of crunchy on top.

Has anyone else had this problem with the White on White recipe? I'd love to use it, but I don't like how it shrinks!

This tells me it's not a cupcake recipe. It either has too much sugar, there is not enough eggs to support the structure, or there is too much baking powder. Or, you went wrong in your technique - your butter was too warm so the fat separated or you over-mixed.

Helpful, right? icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, what recipe did you use? Do you have a link?

LoriMc Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 10:30am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAngie

Try Swans Down cake flour.
www.SwansDown.com has some tasty recipes.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

I did use Swan's Down cake flour.

FromScratchSF: Here's where I got the recipe. It's actually a CC user who participated in the Great White Scratch Cake off here. I went back and she had the same problem I did!

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2011/01/white-cake-taste-test.html

I really think it's too much sugar. In fact, when I ate it with buttercream, it was almost too sweet for me, and I never complain about things being too sweet!

Guess I'll try the Cook's Illustrated cake that won on her blog.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 10

I made the cooks illustrated cake as cupcakes. It tasted wonderful, but it was super light and I overfilled the cups so it flowed over, flattened out and made a sticky mess. Definitely use a few test cupcakes to figure out how much batter to fill the cups with.

LoriMc Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowry03

I made the cooks illustrated cake as cupcakes. It tasted wonderful, but it was super light and I overfilled the cups so it flowed over, flattened out and made a sticky mess. Definitely use a few test cupcakes to figure out how much batter to fill the cups with.

Thanks for that tip. I was just about to try this recipe. Is it your favorite white cake?

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 12:41am
post #9 of 10
Quote:

Too funny! I did that 2 weeks ago. I tested White on White Buttermilk cake, Cooks Illustrated White Layer Cake and Magnolia's not-so-lemon lemon cake -- all in cupcake form.

The #1 winner was the lemon cake, for flavor and crumb, and #2 was Cooks Illustrated. The cooks illustrated and White on White had a crumbier texture, more like bread or corn bread, but had great flavor.

LoriMc Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 12:51am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgette1129

Quote:

Too funny! I did that 2 weeks ago. I tested White on White Buttermilk cake, Cooks Illustrated White Layer Cake and Magnolia's not-so-lemon lemon cake -- all in cupcake form.

The #1 winner was the lemon cake, for flavor and crumb, and #2 was Cooks Illustrated. The cooks illustrated and White on White had a crumbier texture, more like bread or corn bread, but had great flavor.

Cooks Illustrated is my winner!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%