Cake Rings Or Traditional Cake Pans?

Decorating By pbuder Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 7:39pm by Sassyzan

pbuder Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:45am
post #1 of 8

I am just a hobby baker but was looking at getting better pans. I keep coming across cake rings and am wondering if those would be a better option? I have both the traditional cake pans and springform pans for different types of cakes. If I understand cake rings right though, it would replace both sets at the same time?

7 replies
pbuder Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 8

Forgot to add. Should I get 2 inch or 3 inch?

Unlimited Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 8
Originally Posted by pbuder

If I understand cake rings right though, it would replace both sets at the same time?

I don't think so. If you search the forums, I don't believe cake rings are being used in place of pans for baking, but more as giant cookie cutters for cutting rounds from sheet cakes once they're baked. I wouldn't like to attempt to ice a cake with crumbly edgessounds like more trouble than it's worth. If you're cutting from 2" tall layers, the 2" tall rings would work. If you're using them for bakingI think it would be a giant mess.

msthang1224 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, I agree. Cake rings are used on cakes that you have already baked and want to achieve a crisp or certain look (some rings are in different shapes) to your cake. I would not bake in cake rings becaise they more than likely wont be able to hold yr batter inside of it and cake rings are make much thinner than your average cake pan.

leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 8

Cake rings are also used to stack up *thin* layers of cake and mousse to make cakes. Otherwise the cake would slide all over before it's chilled and set. But no, I wouldn't think baking in a cake ring is a good idea. They're not really made for that.

pbuder Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

I'm surprised about the responses to not bake in them. Most of the reviews on Amazon talk about baking in them and many sites can be found talking about baking in them when I google.

Unlimited Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 8

Perhaps the correct term is Cake Baking Ring for heavier gauge rings.
(still sounds too messy to me.)

For building and layering tortes, we just use acetate strips rather than adding the expense of hundreds of rings.

Sassyzan Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 8

I have seen small cake rings being used for baking mini cakes. I didn't understand how that would work either. Seemed to me that the cake batter would run right out the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%