How To Do This Ruffle Effect

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 11 Feb 2012 , 8:31pm by kkurek

bluedaisies Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 6

I have a client wanting a cake exactly as pictured here... I'm thinking fondant would be best, but tell me how you'd do this?



5 replies
VentureSister Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 6

I have done that with buttercream. It is so easy. All you need is a rose tip and turntable. Pipe with fat end of tip against the cake base and wiggle it a bit as you turn it. Just keep going around the cake.
For the ombre effect, make three shades of the pink from dark to light and I would have a white also for four. Start with the darkest in the piping bag when the bag gets down to about 1/4-1/3 of a bag add the next lighter color into the bag and keep going. Do the same thing til you hit white icing.
Easy peasy. Good luck.

DianeLM Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto everything VentureSister said. Same technique here:

smbegg Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 6

If you want to do fondant, just take strips of fondant, ruffle one edge, then apply to cake, slightly according the strips. Continue layering until you get to the top

bluedaisies Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys - would you use a medium consistency bc?

kkurek Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

To get this exact look you would need to do fondant, but more ideally gumpaste. Buttercream gives a similar effect but it wont look quite the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%