Help With Fondant/sugarpaste

Decorating By Nic014 Updated 11 Feb 2012 , 4:30pm by bakingkat

Nic014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nic014 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 3

Hi. I am relatively new to cake making and have a general question regarding fondant/sugarpaste. Do people on here find supermarket fondant/sugarpaste, professional fondant/sugarpaste (such as Renshaw Regalice), or home made fondant/sugarpaste better?

I have only used supermarket fondant/sugarpaste and find it ok, but find that it tends to crack and stick easy, and I just wondered whether it was me or the icing!

Any help or hints you may have would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 3

I am assuming you are in the UK since you use Renshaw regalice and refer to it as sugarpaste...

My favourite brand of fondant is Carma Massa Ticino Tropic. You can get it from here http://www.tcfinefoods.co.uk/ at about £50 for 7kg it is super expensive, but the quality is amazing and you can roll it thinner than most brands meaning you use less.

My next favourite is Jennifer Dontz's semi-homemade fondant. Only problems are 1) you have to buy her DVD to get the recipe 2) The ingredients aren't readily available in the UK - you can get them but it'll cost you.

Next favourite is Michelle Foster's Homemade fondant - Really good elasticity and taste but it is the messiest fondant to make and it is an absolute nuisance having to make it!

Next favourite is Asda's own brand ready to roll sugarpaste - surprisingly good quality and what I most regularly use. At £2.05/kg it is super cheap too!

I really don't like using regalice or covapaste, I had a bad experience with them on a practice cake and I haven't used them since.

HTH!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 3

I have always hated pre-made fondant. Though some is definitely better then others. Wilton being awful and satin-ice buttercream flavored being pretty good. I prefer to make my own though, it's much cheaper and not that difficult. I use Michele Fosters Fondant from this site, http://cakecentral.com/recipe/michele-fosters-updated-fondant I love it because I can flavor it to match my cake. (orange, almond, peppermint, my usual is white chocolate almond and it's delish!) When you make your own you can also color it as it's being made if you need a lot of one color. The only downfall is it is not white white. It's kind of cream colored, but I don't get any complaints about that. To make it white I suppose substitute shortening for the butter, and use clear vanilla, but I prefer the taste of all the real stuff. icon_smile.gif I've found it can get kinda stiff but short bursts in the micro will soften it up. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%