How To Make My Model Firm

Decorating By jues Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 4:21pm by karateka

jues Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 7

I tried in vain making my bride and groom to stay up firmly. They just go limply and refuse to dry up . Please help, this is despite me adding extra gum trag!

6 replies
karateka Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 7

What are you using to make your Bride and groom? Some fondant isn't designed to dry out, and isn't stiff enough for figures.

I like to use a combo of gumpaste and modeling chocolate for mine.

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 7

With gum trag, you need to add it to the fondant and it MUST rest for at least 24hrs. for it to work properly. For this reason, I prefer tylose because I can just knead it in & go.

What type of support are you using? Are they standing figures? You may need to do the legs & dress an allow them to dry completely before working on the torso, etc.

carmijok Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 7

If you can work fast, then straight gum paste is what you want. It dries very quickly and is a lot lighter than fondant. If you need some time then mix gum paste with your fondant. I did that recently for a giraffe topper and was very pleased with how smooth it was and how much more time I could work with it...yet it dried in half the time of plain fondant.
I don't care for Tylose that's added to fondant. I find it too thick and it dries really heavy IMO. I used Wilton's premade gum paste and fondant.

jues Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 11:20am
post #5 of 7

Thank you friends for your quick reply, appreciate it.

carmijok - I'll give gum paste a go.

Rae- I use cocktail stick for my standing bride n groom. I did let it to dry out(which it didn't) before continuing with the grooms coat. The weight of it pulls it down and I end up with a short and stumpy bride n groom! I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

karateka - I suppose my fondant and gum trag mix is wrong! Even the fondant and tylose is not working too well! This is so frustrating!

Could you gals let me know how I can make a correct home-made gum paste!

Price Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 7

jues - If it is hot and humid where you live that can have an effect on how the fondant or gumpaste dries. I use fondant with tylose powder added for my figures and find that works for me. If making a standing figure you also need to have good support inside. If it's a large figure you might want to try using small dowels or skewers instead of the cocktail sticks. I agree with BlakesCakes you need to have the bottom portion of you figure good and dry before adding more weight to the top.

karateka Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%