How In The World...

Decorating By lyndim Updated 11 Feb 2012 , 10:53pm by Shannon1129

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 4

Do you cover small cake spheres With fondant, the size of a softball. I've been struggling to cover these balls to no avail! They come out lumpy,squishy and plain ugly! Does anyone have any tips? Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!

3 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 8:24am
post #2 of 4

Hi,

Its really a challegne covering cake in the shape of a ball and the small the ball the harder it gets :-/.

You mentioned that it gets squishy: Maybe you could try icing it with ganache first and then cover. Ganache will create a firm surface to cover. OR try putting the iced ball in the freezer to harden the buttercream and then cover quickly. Just make sure that yr surface is smooth as possible before covering it.

Roll out yr fondant just a bit bigger thatn yr ball and start smoothing from the top then down and end up pinching the fondant underneath the ball as much as possible and then smooth.

HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 4

Well, with a cake sphere that small, I'd cover them super cold or partly frozen. They'll sweat a bit when done, but leave them sit at room temp--with a fan on them if you can--and they'll be fine.

If they're 4" spheres, roll the fondant at least 8" round. Smooth it down around the sphere to the counter top, pick up, roll over, "bunch up" around the very bottom, and cut off excess. Use some crisco on your fingers to smooth the best you can.

That said, if you use modeling chocolate or mix 50/50 modeling chocolate fondant, the seams will disappear really well.

Rae

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with ganache or having them VERY cold so they are pretty firm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%