What Size Agbay Shold I Get?

Decorating By BuffytheBakingSlayer Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 8:07pm by scp1127

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 2

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question; I am new and not sure where this fit best.

I have researched (w/ a great deal of that on this site!), and have decided to get an Agbay. I want to know which size I should get. Can I get away with the smaller size one? I have already decided that I can wait to get a second blade later, but can I get along with buying the smaller size Agbay? Obviously, the smaller price is what appeals to me.

I don't bake professionally at this time. I want to buy now b/c I have the intent to make my son's birthday cake this year. the cake I want to make is a lot of layers, so I figure that the Agbay is the way to go (no, i am TERRIBLE at doing it with the knife. I cannot cut a straight line in wrapping paper, and cannot go through a cake level either).

Will I be ok with the smaller Agbay? What reasons would compel a person to get the larger one instead?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 reply
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 2

You will be sorry if you ever decide to do a bigger cake. This piece of equipment is so sturdy, you will only buy one for the rest of your life, unless you need multiples.

The other idea is when you are ready to trade up if you buy the small, you will probably have good success selling on Ebay.

If you have ever had the Wilton larger one, it is the same 20". It's not that big. By the time you saw it back and forth, there are several inches used on each side.

So my vote is to wait a little longer and get the larger one, even for small cakes.

Leah_s had a great tip that I have adopted. If I have smaller cakes like 6 and 8 inches, I can push both through at the same time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%