Soapy Flavor In Frosting?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 3:15am by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 8

I made Indydebi's buttercream and also a batch of cooked flour frosting and added the Princess cake emulsion and some vanilla to both recipes.

However, after keeping them out overnight, they taste soapy and don't have a pleasing flavor at all. Any idea on how to improve the flavor? I don't want to throw them out since I made big batches for orders today icon_sad.gif

TIA!

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 8

I have made both of those recipes and I haven't used Princess so it's most likely the emulsion. How much did you use? You could try adding more vanilla and see if that helps, but I honestly don't know.

fcakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Annie! It didn't help.. I just made some more so dunno what to do with the soapy tasting one...

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 8

What is Princess Cake emulsion?? I'll be sure not to buy it!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 1:07am
post #5 of 8

Toss it! I know it sucks, but I just tried a new scratch recipe last night that didn't work out, plus wasted some cute Valentine's cupcake wrappers I bought. icon_mad.gif

Sometimes it just happens.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 1:20am
post #6 of 8

I tried the Princess cake emulsion once and never again. Don't recall it as being soapy, but it was NOT good IMO.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 1:25am
post #7 of 8

Princess cake emulsion is an extract that can be used instead of vanilla extract:
https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8346-princess-cake-and-cookie-bakery-emulsion.aspx

The soapy flavor probably came from the powdered sugar, I would toss any PS you have from that batch. More info at the link below:
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/512571

fcakes Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:15am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I liked the Princess emulsion in the frostings and cakes I've made and never had it taste soapy... as Jason said, must be the PS then... wonder why.. it was a sealed new bag!

Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%