Cheesecake Servings?

Decorating By julz417 Updated 16 Oct 2015 , 11:31am by sarahlc8

julz417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julz417 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:20am
post #1 of 14

Hi All,

Looking for your opinions/experience in about how many servings of cheesecake I can expect to get from a 12" round cheesecake? Probably one made with graham cracker crumb crust, cream cheese and whipping cream...standard recipe.

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:48am
post #2 of 14

If it's 2" high, 19 servings (using a 12 cubic inch party serving).

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:45am
post #3 of 14

Wow, those are some mighty generous servings! Jerry's cheesecake says a 12" serves 32.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 14

In our bakery and for restaurant sales, the round 12" cake was cut into 24 servings. They were definitely generous, but we had to cut wedges to keep the remaining cheesecake looking nice. We also made cheesecake in sheet cakes, so the pieces could be cut in small diagonals. For a 9x13 we could get up to 96 little triangular pieces.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 14

I use the same servings for cheesecake as regular cake for charging purposes. They can cut it however they like once they get home icon_smile.gif

Anna - IDK what a Jerry's cheesecake is, but perhaps it's more than 2" deep?

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 14

Jerry's cheesecakes is a big one arond here. They do shows and wedding cakes. On their website it says they are 2" thick. J. Annette is another big cheesecake place around here, but she doesn't say how thick they are but shows a 12" serving 25-30, I think. (I'd look again, but my phone keeps messing up when I look at different websites while typing on another) but her Ito is weird, because it says the current price is $3.70 a serving, but says a 12" serving between 25-30 is about $52. Iced was a little more.

It is possible I am missing something, since I am exhausted.

BTW I had Jerry's at a show and thought it tasted like thick, lightly sweetened sour cream thumbsdown.gif My cheesecake is WAY BETTER!

julz417 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks everyone. I was thinking that a 12' round cheesecake would get me close to 30 servings. I have a request for one for a rehearsal dinner and they also want it covered with chocolate covered strawberries. I quoted her $60 as I was thinking that I could get about 30 servings out of a 12" cheesecake (she's having about 30 people at the dinner), but now I'm wondering if I should make an additional 8" just to be sure. Of course, I won't charge her any additional...just chalk it up to lesson learned.

What do you all think?

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 14

There is no way I would make an additional 8" for free. If anything, I would say I may have miscalculated and give her the option of purchasing an additional cake. I honestly don't know how you are going to make any money on this venture as it is. In my area, the strawberries alone would cost at least $15 this time of year, for a 12", you're going to need AT LEAST 7 packages of cream cheese, costing $14. Then there is cream, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and the chocolate. If you make $5 after you add up your ingredient costs and labor, let us know.

*Edited due to autocorrecting cream to curran*

julz417 Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 1:37am
post #9 of 14

Well, luckily strawberries are only getting cheaper here right now (atlanta) and I can get my cream cheese for $1/8oz, but I understand your pov. Like I said, this will surely be a learning experience for me. Thanks for your reply icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 12:39am
post #10 of 14

My 9 inch cheesecake is $45.00 and strawberries are $21.00 for my smallest amount, and that is with regular chocolate, not premium. Add local delivery and tax, I'm at $80.

A 12 inch cheesecake is exactly double a 9 inch cake. With that added, my cost would be $125.00.

Make (pi r squared) your friend. 12 inches is not just 3 inches bigger.

sarahlc8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahlc8 Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 14

Hope someone is still following this thread.

If I am making cheese cake for a wedding and I need to serve 60, do I make 2- 9 inch rounds?  Is that what I understand?

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Oct 2015 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 14

No, a 9" cheesecake serves 12-15, So, I would make 4-5 depending on how thick the slices are.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 12:34am
post #13 of 14

Really, it's just going to depend on how big your serving sizes will be.....

This is from Eli's Cheesecakes:
"There are 12 servings in our 7″ and 8″ cheesecakes. There are 14-16 servings in our 9″ Cheesecakes and14 servings in our 10″ Cheesecakes."

sarahlc8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahlc8 Posted 16 Oct 2015 , 11:31am
post #14 of 14

Do you use a standard cut of a cheese cake?  are they 2 inches thick? or thicker?  and if you don't mind what do you charge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%