Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 13 Aug 2014 , 1:43pm by laural124

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:57am
post #1 of 56

im going to be trying modeling chocolate, as with many other things in cake decorating, im guessing it comes with a lot of trial and error, any pointers for me, good ratio of chocolate to corn syrup? storage, type of chocolate etc. thanks

55 replies
kkurek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkurek Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:17am
post #2 of 56

I just took a modeling chocolate class at wilton in chicago not too long ago.

use a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to corn syrup.

melt the chocolate then stir in glucose.

personally i really found the wilton gucose to make the best modeling chocolate. i also use the wilton candy melts. dont freeze it at all or refrigerate it for too long, instructor was strict about this.

i find this to be easiest too because one container of glucose with two 12oz bags of wilton candy melts makes a batch. ( my local hobby store carries 12 oz and 14oz bags in the same bins for the same price and were clueless when i asked about the size difference and price, but anyways. point is. double check the bag size!!!!!)

ummm.... use corn starch to keep it from sticking if it seems too sticky, not powdered sugar. the instructor was very strict about this.

make it the night before planned use. it needs time to set up good. i highly suggest this. you can refrigerate it for a couple hours if you didnt plan ahead, but dont leave it in there too long.

if it starts getting soft while youre working with it set it down! if it starts getting oily on your hands then you are over working it and it will be ruined and not usable!

if youre making flowers, its best to work assembly line style. this way you wont over work the modeling chocolate. it forces you from getting it too warm from body heat, which will keep you from ruining it!

feel free to ask if you have any questions. i could upload the notes and instruction packet from the class!

snazzycakes1 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 56

wow, that was phenomenal information. i havent heard of putting glucose in...... i make 3-5 cakes a week, and i wont be useing modeling chocolate on all of them, so i dont think i would make that large of a batch. how does it store? could i make it and store it, and use it within the next couple weeks? if i were to use one bag of melts, how much glucose and corn syrup would i use? (do i just half the amount of chocolate to find out how much corn syrup? Do i use light corn syrup? do you use a double boiler, or microwave? if i were tinting the chocolte it must be done inthe melting phase correct? thank you so much for your information! this is great!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 56

so glad I read this- I planned on experimenting with modeling chocolate for the first time this weekend to make chocolate roses.....def interested in how you store this, as well as mixing instructions...do you mix it and let it sit on the counter overnight?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkurek

I just took a modeling chocolate class at wilton in chicago not too long ago.

use a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to corn syrup.

Wow, that is a LOT of corn syrup. So for 1 lb of candy melts you'd use 8 oz. corn syrup? I only use 5.

Quote:

melt the chocolate then stir in glucose.

personally i really found the wilton gucose to make the best modeling chocolate. i also use the wilton candy melts.

I use Merkins or Guittard A'peels candy coating. The flavor is a bazillion times better. I think Wilton leaves a waxy flavor in your mouth.

Quote:

dont freeze it at all or refrigerate it for too long, instructor was strict about this.

i find this to be easiest too because one container of glucose with two 12oz bags of wilton candy melts makes a batch. ( my local hobby store carries 12 oz and 14oz bags in the same bins for the same price and were clueless when i asked about the size difference and price, but anyways. point is. double check the bag size!!!!!)

I don't use glucose, with all that corn syrup I don't know how you get your stuff to stay together! I use 1/2 tsp. of glycerin.

Quote:

ummm.... use corn starch to keep it from sticking if it seems too sticky, not powdered sugar. the instructor was very strict about this.

I use neither, I roll with a pasta roller and smooth between parchment paper.

Quote:

make it the night before planned use. it needs time to set up good. i highly suggest this. you can refrigerate it for a couple hours if you didnt plan ahead, but dont leave it in there too long.

if it starts getting soft while youre working with it set it down! if it starts getting oily on your hands then you are over working it and it will be ruined and not usable!

if youre making flowers, its best to work assembly line style. this way you wont over work the modeling chocolate. it forces you from getting it too warm from body heat, which will keep you from ruining it!

feel free to ask if you have any questions. i could upload the notes and instruction packet from the class!

Interesting the different ways people do stuff!

I also use the recipe for modeling using real chocolate from Joy of Baking.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 56

I use the modeling chocolate recipe here on CC
Candy Clay for Modeling & 3D Figures
Ingredients
14 oz. Package of Candy / Chocolate Melts
1/3 cup light corn syrup

Be sure and weigh your chocolate. I have used guiredille, merckens and wilton. Wilton is the most tempramental for me but I think it is because you can get "old" choc from the store.

Do NOT over mix when you stir in the corn syrup. And be sure you let it rest (covered) for several hours or over night.

I freeze my left over modeling chocolate all the time. I love modelign chocolate and use it in molds as well as my tappits so I save the left over bits to keep a variety of colors.

FYI, I use Wilton a lot it's because I like all the color variety available just up the street.

kkurek Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 56

SNAZZYCAKES1:

Store any unused modeling chocolate it in an airtight container. Stays good for a long time. My instructor says that modeled stuff can stay good for up to and possibly over a year if store in airtight container. I have some from two weeks ago that is still good for modeling.

The problem with saying one bag of melts is that wilton distributes 12 and 14 oz bags. so if youre going to use 12 oz of melts, you would use 6 oz of glucose, which is corn syrup. If you are going to use 14 oz of melts, you would use 7 oz of glucose.

I used normal corn syrup and the chocolate did not want to hold its shape. So the second time I made it after the class I used wiltons glucose and it worked perfectly. And its a ll pre-measured in the container so i knew I had the right amount.

I use a double boiler to melt the chocolate until smooth. Then I let it sit a minute or two then start folding in the glucose (or corn syrup). Dont mix it, fold it. If it starts to get sort of a shiny oily look then you are over doing it. Let it sit and get a sort of matte finish to it. Once combined, wrap the modeling chocolate up in plastic wrap and let it sit over night.

Then, when ready to use, cut off a portion and start kneading it until it is plyable.

Just remember that if it starts getting oily looking youre over working it. Just set it down and let it rest for like 5 minutes or so. If you over work it the oils will separate from the chocolate and it will be ruined.

When mixing in color, just knead it into the modeling chocolate. It is NOT done during the melting phase.

Cut off some modeling chocolate, it will be kinda hard at first, and knead it until soft. Then take a tooth pick and place some color on the chocolate and knead it in. Add more to get desired color.

DEBBYE27:

I answered all of your questions above too. But, basically mix it then wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter over night. I also stick my in a gallon ziploc bag just for extra precautions.

ALSO,

You can use water to attach some modeled parts together. We used water to attach calla lily stamens, minor things can be fused together using water. But for other things, such as attaching star gazer lily petals together we used melted candy melts as a glue.

You can see in my pictures the candy melt we used as glue, we were out of class time so everyone was rushing to assemble the pieces, in reality I would make sure you cant see it. But anyways, for the orchid center we used water to keep that in place.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

kkurek Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 56

geez. i dont know what happened with the pictures! they posted numerous times!

sorry icon_sad.gif

kkurek Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 56

FROMSCRATCH:

So you dont use any glucose or corn syrup in your modeling chocolate recipe?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 56
Quote:

FROMSCRATCH:

So you dont use any glucose or corn syrup in your modeling chocolate recipe?

I use corn syrup, just not that much. I use glycerin, not glucose. My recipe is from Baking Arts here in SF. I can't post it, it's not mine.

kkurek Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 56

I would agree it is too much corn syrup maybe, in the class we used wiltons glucose. Corn syrup seems to be thinner so it wouldn't hold up as good when I tried at home. I think it's sort of a trial and error thing when it comes to using the products you like. They all behave differently.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 56

Kkurek, your flowers are gorgeous. I love to make flowers from modeling chocolate. There is a lady at ices convention(mari senago) she is my inspriation. I take her deoms anytime she offers them.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 56

kkurek~~Welcome to the CakeCentral forum! Your information is fabulous, thanks so much for taking the time to post the detailed explanations. Your class flowers are so wonderful that I didn't mind that the system posted each one of them several times; I smiled with each photo. I will send you a PM with my regular email address. I would be thrilled to receive the notes and instruction packet from the class.

I am retired and started hobby baking 2 years ago after taking my initial Wilton class at Michaels. Since then this has become a passion and I've attended many, many demos and courses. There is SO much to learn. I find that my personal preference is leaning toward chocolate. Although I've been working with Guittard A'Peels and different candy melts in molded and dipped chocolates, I haven't tried chocolate plastic yet.

kkurek and other posters: I've never tasted chocolate plastic, but I've heard it tastes like tootsie roll. Are the flowers like those in the photos not only edible, but TASTY? Would an adult or child want to eat one and ask for another? It seems such a waste to create gorgeous gum paste or fondant decorations for show only, not for eating. I want my decorations to taste as good as they look.

happyascanbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happyascanbee Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 56

These I made years ago... everything on it is 100% modeling chocolate..

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 56

if you don't care about flavor (e.g. no one will be eating your 3d figures or flowers), just use the white candy coating (aka almond bark) from the grocery store (can usually get <$3/lb). i use 1 lb of coating with 1/3 cup of corn syrup.

kkurek Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 56

my instructor said you could flavor it just like you would with the candy melts. kids like it, its sugar. its nothing amazing taste wise.

snazzycakes1 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 9:28pm
post #17 of 56

kkurek, i would love the instructions as well! you do beatiful work, and a very much appreciate all the information. [email protected] thank you so much

Apti Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 11:48pm
post #18 of 56
Quote:

my instructor said you could flavor it just like you would with the candy melts. kids like it, its sugar. its nothing amazing taste wise.

Can you make it amazing, taste wise? (I've only used the peppermint and wintergreen Wilton candy flavors for my Guittard A'Peels' chocolate so far, and it was wonderful.

kkurek Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 3:27am
post #19 of 56

I havent experimented with flavors yet. I only took this class about a month ago, so most of the technical stuff is still nice and fresh in my mind.

I would assume that if the candy melts flavor good when used for candy making or whatever else then the modeling chocolate would too.

I would maybe think it could change the consistency a little. So youll just have to experiment with it. Maybe ease up on the glucose or corn syrup,

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 11:48pm
post #20 of 56

The book Cake Art from the Culinary Institute of America has a recipe that I've used. If I recall correctly, the ratio is 1 lb of chocolate (real chocolate) or 1 1/2 lbs of white chocolate and 1 cup of corn syrup. I didn't try covering a cake with it, but it did taste nice. The texture was reminiscent of a tootsie roll, but it tasted like real chocolate (which was just el-cheapo Baker's semi-sweet) so if you used a fantastic tasting chocolate, I bet it would be even better. I'm definitely going to try it again with the mint flavoring, what a great idea!

As far as texture or ease of use, it was a little tricky to use, melting quite easily and remaining fairly soft when set. Never tried any other recipe, so I have nothing to compare it to and thought this was just the way modeling chocolate was. So would using glucose instead of corn syrup stiffen it up better?

My flowers aren't a patch on the gorgeous things y'all have posted, but I was still proud of them.

Apti Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:19am
post #21 of 56

kkurek--I apologize, I may not have sent you a PM (private message). I've been watching my niece and nephew and had to step away suddenly a few times. I'll send another PM with my email. I'd be so grateful for copies of your instructions and notes.

happyascanbee~~Those were beautiful. Thanks for posting.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:07am
post #22 of 56

I'll get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway:

If you've paid to take a class, sharing some info is wonderful, but it is patently unfair to the instructor--AND TO YOU--to share detailed notes or the instructor's handouts. Please consider this when giving out information.
You devalue your own paid tuition to the class and you devalue the time and effort put in by the instructor when to produce the class and any handouts you've received.

I've taken a class with Jing Palasigue at an ICES Day of Sharing here in OH (he's doing the class at Wilton in Chicago). He's a wonderful instructor and the one who got me using glucose vs. corn syrup in my modeling chocolate. I think it makes a marvelous difference.

Rae

BijouxCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BijouxCakes Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:18am
post #23 of 56

i'm going to try this! my brother's girlfriend wants a romantic cake for their anniversary and i'm thinking about putting chocolate flowers on there using this modeling chocolate. wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

happyascanbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happyascanbee Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:38am
post #24 of 56

I use Wiltons Candy melts. They actually taste good.. Don't confuse it with Fondant.. I don't know how else you can change the taste of candy melts ??? extact will ruin the texture and chemistry of the modeling mixture..

kkurek Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 4:46am
post #25 of 56

they have candy flavors, specifically made for the candy melts.

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 3:27pm
post #26 of 56

Just making sure I understand this right. If you want a certain flavor you just use the flavored candy melts? Or can you add flavoring to the mix? Also what about coloring it? Would it be similar to coloring fondant or gum paste?

kkurek Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 8:37pm
post #27 of 56

you color the same as fondant and gumpaste. once the mixture is ready and set over night.

i am not certain about flavoring it. im assuming you can flavor the melts with the candy melts flavors before you mix it with the glucose. something to experiment with.

luv18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv18 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 10:58pm
post #28 of 56

I've just recently started working with modeling chocolate maybe my mixture is wrong or my hands are to hot but I try my best not to handle it to much but after I make something I will set it out on our enclosed patio to cool down as soon as I bring it back in it melts instantly, my mixture 12 oz of wilton white chips and 1/3 cup corn syrup. If someone could help me I would really like to start using it for figures on my cakes.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 2:01am
post #29 of 56

I've made it with the 12 oz bag of Wilton Melts, 1/3 C clear corn syrup recipe. I added gel food coloring & Lorann oil flavoring to the syrup before I stirred it into the melts. Came out with tasty, vibrantly colored modeling clay that was easy to work, held its shape and people actually ate the decorations made with it instead of scraping them to the  side of the plate like they've done with fondant!

I also used the recipe I found here on CC for Chocolate Leather. It calls for chocolate bark and clear corn syrup. Tastes just like a Tootsie Roll!

One thing I learned is to let the melted mixture set several hours before trying to knead it. I made a huge mess trying to sop up all the watery/oily looking goo before that lesson! OH! and it's a good idea to work over the sinkicon_smile.gif

luv18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv18 Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 4:11am
post #30 of 56

Thank you I'll give that a try

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%