Colorflow Question, Please Help!

Decorating By Candice0402 Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 3:21pm by TexasSugar

Candice0402 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:11am
post #1 of 4

I found a recipe that will allow me to use royal icing as a substitute to color flow mix by wilton. My only problem is I have made butter-cream icing. Is there a way i can still use my buttercream icing? Any suggestions, I would hate to make more icing if I don't have to.

3 replies
msthang1224 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:23am
post #2 of 4

Hi,

If you put the royal icing project onto your buttercream iced cake, it will break down. I suggest that you use the colorflow or BCT trasnfer to be safe.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 3:38am
post #3 of 4

If it's a non-crusting buttercream & you pipe directly on it with the royal/colorflow, it'll discolor quickly and any fine/thin areas will break down rapidly. If it's a crusting BC, it will happen more slowly.

You can put a thin layer of fondant on top of the cake and put the item on that. You can push sugar cubes or tootsie rolls in the cake and sit the piece on top of that.

I've covered the back of colorflow pieces with piping gel and put it directly on a BC cake. It held up fine.

Rae

TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 4

Do you mean you made buttercream icing to ice your cake with? Or buttercream to do the transfer with?

As far as icing the cake, yes royal icing can go on to buttercream. I use crusting buttercream and have never had a problem with it. I've put royal icing transfers on the night before, I've piped royal icing on buttercream while still fresh, and I have piped royal icing on a fondant cake coated in crisco, no problems.

If you are concearned, put it on last minute, do not put the cake in the fridge if you experince condensation issues in your area, and do not close it up in an air tight container with your cake.

If you made the buttercream in place of royal icing, you can always make a FBCT, Frozen Buttercream Transfer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%