How Long Does Tylose Glue Keep For?

Decorating By FunkyCrunky Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 1:27am by FunkyCrunky

FunkyCrunky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunkyCrunky Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

If you bear in mind when I make my Tylose glue, I used cooled boiled water, a small amount, stored in the fridge in a small airtight container. And when I use, I use a small spoon to scoop out some of the glue and put it in a small container so that my paintbrush does not contaminate the original glue made and obviously the glue that was scooped out and used if any remained, it was discarded.

How long would you say I could keep using this glue for bearing in mind all of the above? I know it's always great to make fresh but I don't use a lot and when I change each time I need it, I feel like I'm wasting an awful lot = dislike! lol.

How long is it safe for? Thanks in advance.

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about with the tylose, but when making gum glue with gum paste when it gets white or black stringy pieces in it it is bad. It also has a different smell.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

When I have made it with CMC (which I believe is the same as Tylose, but I could be wrong), if it's in the fridge too long it gets very tiny black specks in, like vanilla, which I assume is mold. If I can see the specks, I throw it out. But it can last a good few weeks as far as I can tell.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:19am
post #4 of 7

If I remember right, according to Nic Lodge it will last forever icon_smile.gif

FunkyCrunky Posted 11 Feb 2012 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

When I have made it with CMC (which I believe is the same as Tylose, but I could be wrong), if it's in the fridge too long it gets very tiny black specks in, like vanilla, which I assume is mold. If I can see the specks, I throw it out. But it can last a good few weeks as far as I can tell.

The ingredients on the side state CMC.

I'm only at the practicing stage of sugar c.r.a.f.t. (it blocked my words, for some reason) so I sporadically use the glue, iykwim? So, the last time I made a batch must've been about 1 month ago. Maybe a month and a half ago (I sometimes just use water for sticking small objects). And looked at the glue last week, gave it a stir with a toothpick and it looked perfect. No stringy bits, no black dots, just clear and nice looking. As clear and fresh looking as the day I made it.

I'm guessing it's safe then?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:22am
post #6 of 7

As you describe it yes, it is o.k. to continue using

FunkyCrunky Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:27am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

As you describe it yes, it is o.k. to continue using

Excellent. Thanks, Kakeladi. I'll just continue to use until any of the descriptions people gave above happen or if it smells funny.

Have used it today with no issues. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%