Meringue Buttercreams And Cupcakes

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm by TheSweetTreat

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 4:29am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
I am wanting to try my hand at either an IMBC or SMBC. I am wanting to just pipe some on some cupcakes for friends to try out. I've been reading posts on the MBCs and many say refrigerate until a few hours before needed, then allow to come to room temperature. Here are my questions:

1. If I'm making the cupcakes then frosting when cool to take to a dinner that night, do I need to refrigerate? If so, for how long?

2. Does SMBC or IMBC HAVE to be kept cold or what? I know it is mainly butter so it will get soft, but is there a safety reason for it to be kept chilled or is it merely for the look?

3. I've always been told to not refrigerate cakes/cupcakes unless you absolutely have to (since the dehumidifying system in the refrigerator can dry out your cakes), so what should I do for my cupcakes?

Thanks so much in advance! I'm excited about trying out one of them (even though I can't eat the cake since I am now gluten-free icon_sad.gif )

8 replies
Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:21am
post #2 of 9

Most meringue buttercreams are shelf stable for at least a couple of days. I have never had any problems with them sitting out for up to 5 or 6 days. The idea behind refrigerating it is to make it firm, especially before travel.

I would not put the cupcakes in the fridge without covering first, because they will dry out.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 8:05am
post #3 of 9

do NOT refrigerate your IMBC.. no no. Think about how hard a block of butter from the fridge is. That's how hard your IMBC will go if you refrigerate it, and it will take a long time to get to room temperature. It's fine to leave it out on the counter, and better for the cupcakes too.

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 9

Okay, I thought putting them in the refrigerator would be a bad idea and it would take too long to come back to room temp. Thanks so much! Now, wish me luck I can figure out which one to do and actually pull it off.

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 9

I certainly do wish you luck!! I'll be making SMBC again tonight so wish me some luck as well. I go into it never knowing how it's going to end.

TheSweetTreat Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 9

Update from me: The SMBC turned out beautifully....until I added some meltd bittersweet chocolate. I'm certain I added the proper amount, however the whole thing just deflated. I've put it into the fridge until I'm ready to use it and I'll rewhip it and see what happens, but I have a feeling my chocolate was too warm and it melted the butter. Can this be saved?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetTreat

Update from me: The SMBC turned out beautifully....until I added some meltd bittersweet chocolate. I'm certain I added the proper amount, however the whole thing just deflated. I've put it into the fridge until I'm ready to use it and I'll rewhip it and see what happens, but I have a feeling my chocolate was too warm and it melted the butter. Can this be saved?

Eeek - yeah your chocolate needs to be completely cooled. I'm sorry to say you are probably going to have a mess by putting it in the fridge, the chocolate is going to re-solidify and you are going to have a brick that you won't be able to re-whip!

Your better bet would have been to cool your bowl on a few bags of frozen veggies and stir stir stir or to put it in short bursts in the freezer and stir stir stir to try and lower internal temperature of your buttercream by a few degrees. One you get the temperature back down to low 70's it should come back together but you will have lost some volume.

TheSweetTreat Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 9

Just wanted to pop back in and say that I saved the buttercream! I didn't actually do anything icon_razz.gif The night before I needed it I sat it out on the counter. By that morning it was soft again and I just re-whipped it with the beaters of my hand mixer. It came together beautifully and thick enough to pipe onto cupcakes. I was so relieved. Swiss Meringue does seem to be pretty forgiving icon_smile.gif

TheSweetTreat Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 9

Just wanted to pop back in and say that I saved the buttercream! I didn't actually do anything icon_razz.gif The night before I needed it I sat it out on the counter. By that morning it was soft again and I just re-whipped it with the beaters of my hand mixer. It came together beautifully and thick enough to pipe onto cupcakes. I was so relieved. Swiss Meringue does seem to be pretty forgiving icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%