Sole Proprietorship Or Llc?

Business By HannahsMomi Updated 9 Feb 2012 , 4:25am by TheSweetTreat

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 3:12am
post #1 of 3

This has probably been posted before, but I can't seem to find it. Those who have started their business...are you a sole proprietorship or an LLC? Can anyone give me some advice? I can't decide which would be best for me. I'm going to be starting my business on a part-time basis working out of a commercial kitchen. Thanks so much for any input!!

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 3:43am
post #2 of 3

I would definitely get an LLC, having an LLC (combined with liability insurance) will protect your personal assets against business liability as long as you keep your business and personal accounts and activities separate.

A single-member LLC is automatically treated as a sole prop for tax purposes unless you specifically elect to be taxed as an S corp or C corp.

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 4:25am
post #3 of 3

I agree with the LLC recommendation. It's much easier come tax season to be a sole proprietor, however you risk your personal assets being taken if you were to get sued. With an LLC you are creating a separate entity for which has nothing to do with your personal assets, therefore they cannot be touched.

When you become an LLC, in regards to tax season, you just have to fill out a schedule K-1 and file it with your personal taxes. If your business makes a profit then it's considered income on your personal taxes. However, if your business takes a loss then it actually benefits your personal taxes. Either way!! It's VERY IMPORTANT if going with an LLC that you choose the proper tax status. Once you choose your tax status you cannot change it for 5 years. And if you've chosen wrong it will be a HUGE pain in the butt each tax season.

I HIGHLY recommend hiring an accountant or at least having a consultation with one to determine what's best for you and your situation. Once you've become a legit business I also recommend keeping an accountant. It will save you a lot of frustration down the road. Plus, do what you do best..cakes! Not accounting. I don't do accounting that's why I say that icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%