I am doing a production of Avenue Q and for opening night, I would like to make a two tier cake with puppet heads made out of rice crispy treats. The only problem... I have never covered a cake & I have never made rice crispy treats.
I have been reading up on all aspects of the process and I am thinking of this as the plan:
- Wednesday > Make cakes (only 2 cakes not 3)
- Thursday > cover cake
- Friday > make puppet heads & finish cake (attach heads and do final decoration)
My questions are (other than "am I insane!")
- Will the cake still be OK to eat on Saturday?
- What is the best way to store the covered cake
- What is the best way to store the puppets
- should I assemble the cake before or after reaching the destination?
I am a little nervous
What are you using to cover the cake? If you are using ganache and fondant, give yourself a day between baking and covering the cake and make the ganache ready the same night as you bake so it's ready for use the next day. If you cover with ganache and then fondant, the cake will effectively be sealed and you won't need to worry about storing beyond not having it somewhere warm or with sunlight on it.
Again if you are covering the puppets in fondant, they should be fun but an airtight container wouldn't hurt, and yep, you would be best served constructing it on site.
Hope this helps.