Halp! Random Chocolate Question

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 5:11am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I just want to preface that this is not going to be EATEN icon_lol.gif

I'm making a fence out of chocolate covered pretzels and I need it to be separate from my display that I'm doing. Can chocolate stick to just about anything? Like, If i wanted to get this fence to stick to a styro board with chocolate will it stay or just break off with it barely being touched?

If these seems silly then what CAN I stick this chocolate fence too?? I really do need it to be independent of the board I am placing it on, need to be able to place it on the board after setting it up, plus need it to be stable.

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 5

Back in the fall I made a fence by using melted chocolate and pretzel sticks. My experience with it is that the coating that is on the pretzel sticks (like an egg wash) that they use to make it shine makes the chocolate not adhere very securely. So, while you can make the fence with the chocolate you need to be very careful what you do with it afterwards (i.e. sticking it into anything). If the styro board is going to be your base then perhaps you could make holes along where the pretzel fence posts are going to go (I did my posts with two pretzel sticks glued together with melted chocolate). Then fill the holes with melted chocolate and then stick the fence in place. BTW, I got a nice effect by brushing brown luster dust over the pretzel sticks and melted chocolate in order to make it seem more uniform in color and to give it some pizazz. Take a look at my "Apple Pickin' Cake" to see the fence I am referring to. HTH

step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsnsync

Back in the fall I made a fence by using melted chocolate and pretzel sticks. My experience with it is that the coating that is on the pretzel sticks (like an egg wash) that they use to make it shine makes the chocolate not adhere very securely. So, while you can make the fence with the chocolate you need to be very careful what you do with it afterwards (i.e. sticking it into anything). If the styro board is going to be your base then perhaps you could make holes along where the pretzel fence posts are going to go (I did my posts with two pretzel sticks glued together with melted chocolate). Then fill the holes with melted chocolate and then stick the fence in place. BTW, I got a nice effect by brushing brown luster dust over the pretzel sticks and melted chocolate in order to make it seem more uniform in color and to give it some pizazz. Take a look at my "Apple Pickin' Cake" to see the fence I am referring to. HTH

My experience with it is that the coating that is on the pretzel sticks (like an egg wash) that they use to make it shine makes the chocolate not adhere very securely.

what do you mean here? like the initial coating of the chocolate over the pretzels? I already did this with candy melts...did fine!

my worry is putting the chocolate on the styro...the idea about the holes is a very good idea! thank you!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:09am
post #4 of 5

I meant it does not adhere securely if you begin to try and manipulate it into a hole. The chocolate tends to come unstuck and I guessed it was because of the shiny surface on the pretzels. I used Merckens candy wafers so perhaps your brand will be more stable. Good luck to you.

step0nmi Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:11am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsnsync

I meant it does not adhere securely if you begin to try and manipulate it into a hole. The chocolate tends to come unstuck and I guessed it was because of the shiny surface on the pretzels. I used Merckens candy wafers so perhaps your brand will be more stable. Good luck to you.

ahh, thanks for clarification. i may use something else to hold it up, not sure yet. TY thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%