Amerisheen Won't Spray! Help!

Decorating By MadKat Updated 9 Feb 2012 , 6:12pm by MadKat

MadKat Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone! I'm having a MAJOR problem with Americolor's Amerisheen feeding through my air~gun. All of their other colors work fine, but the sheen just barely comes out icon_sad.gif It took 4 coats and close to an hour to get one 10" covered nicely. My gun is a Master G22 and has a .3mm needle, so I ordered a .5 thinking that would solve my problem and still, no luck! I am supposed to spray and entire 4 tiered wedding cake next month and don't know if I need a new gun or if I am just doing something wrong. I tried adding water... Nothing. I am open to advice and greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!!!!

10 replies
msthang1224 Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:55am
post #2 of 11

Have you run plain warm water thru the air gun yet? sometimes that works, there could be a clog somewhere, maybe? I dont know, does the sheen have lil tiny sparkles that are getting caught inside?

MadKat Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 11

I've tried everything! It will run water through it fine, and also the regular Americolor airbrush colors, but if I put any of the sheens in it..... Nothing icon_sad.gif The sheen comes out, but very, very little! It normally takes me about 10 minutes to double coat a whole cake with color (and about 2 cups full of color) but when I tried the sheen it took close to an hour! It just won't feed through.I had to continue to stop to let my compressor cool down so the poor thing didn't overheat! The finished product was gorgeous (see below), but I know it shouldn't take so long and be so much of a hassle! I have two upcoming weddings and BOTH brides have requested the sheen on their cakes.

ibmoser Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 11

Have you tried increasing the pressure a bit? I use a regular .3 needle in my Iwata and Badger airbrushes with no problems. I shake the sheens very well before every refill of the pigment cup and spray out a bit of vodka onto paper towels occasionally if I'm doing a lot of spraying with sheens, but I do use a higher pressure setting.

MadKat Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 11

I talked with a lady yesterday who had some really helpful advice also. I think I may have a leak somewhere since my compressor has an auto~shut off and it runs itself even when I'm not using the gun. I'm going to try an fiddle with it this weekend, I just couldn't find where anyone else has had this problem icon_sad.gif The fact that my compressor and gun came with NO instructions doesn't help being a beginner either...

inspiredbymom Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 11

This is a little off topic, but I've been checking into airbrush/compressors this past week and it seems that not having instructions are a common complaint. Most of the problems were resolved calling the company that made it. Would that be an option for you? Maybe they can troubleshoot?

MadKat Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 11

I can try that. I bought it from TPC Global and they sell a TON of different airbrush combos, worth a try icon_wink.gif I really want to be able to do what my client is asking, but if it is going to take over an hour to spray a simple 10" I can't imagine how long it could take for a 4 tiered cake!!!

inspiredbymom Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 11

Oh WOW! TCP Global was the company that I was talking about! If you check out the reviews, they are all good other than the missing instructions! They also offer a book on their site about using your airbrush. I would contact them first. All of the reviews were good about contacting them. Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it goes since they are one of the 3 that I am narrowing down before I buy!

MadKat Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 11

That's encouraging icon_biggrin.gif I'll contact them and see if they can send me something!

LisaBerczel Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 11

There are a lot of variables at play... tip size, fluid viscocity, air pressure.... Airbrushing is a dance and all the variables has to be in balance.

Looking forward to what the solution ends up being!

MadKat Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for all of your advice Lisa, I hope I can figure this thing out! I didn't have a chance to fiddle with it last night.... I had about a hundred chocolate seashells stealing my attention icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%