Rainbow Cake Help, Please And Thank You!

Baking By NanaSandy Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 12:56am by NanaSandy

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to make the Rainbow Cake with the different colored layers. What I am wondering is can I start with a box Cake Mix? If so, do I have to use White Cake? Any White cake from a mix I have ever made has tasted like cardboard...I refuse to make them. I usually start with a Yellow Cake mix and add pudding, etc. to it.
I am just wondering who has done one of these cakes, and what type of cake did you start with? Any suggestions on how to would be helpful!!
From what I have gathered, the easiest way to do this cake is to bake thin layers. Then stack and fill.
?? I am excited about doing this cake, as I think it is soooo cute when cut into!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

9 replies
fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 10

While I don't bake with cake mixes at all, I am sure you can start with a yellow cake and divide into 6-7 portions and add the rainbow colors.

Yes, thin layers would be easy... I've read about people pouring one layer of batter, freezing it then adding another layer and freezing and so on but it will take time. Thin baked layers would be much easier icon_smile.gif

NanaSandy Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 10

That is what I was thinking regarding the yellow cake mix. You are coloring the batter anyway? Hopefully it wouldn't change the coloring too much since you started with the yellow tint.?
Thank you for your quick reply!!
anybody else????

abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 10

I made a tie-dye cake using yellow cake (from a boxed mix) and I thought it tasted delicious! Just seperate into equal parts and color with gel colors. I was able to "glob" them all in one pan, but I imagine thin layers would work just as well!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, it won't affect the colors at all since the yellow isn't very deep.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 10

OK - - please clarify. It was my understanding that if the colors were mixed in the same pan it was tie-dye, and if each color was an individual layer it was rainbow. Either way, I'd start with a vanilla mix instead of a yellow as the colors will be truer. And don't make the mistake I did of getting the brilliant idea to make each color a different flavor. icon_redface.gif Yeah, won't do that again.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 10

I make rainbow cake all the time, I use a scratch vanilla recipe- but it's not 'white' - the yellow won't effect your colors at all, as soon as you put dye into it- it will be whatever color you are making it (use gel colors though for a deeper color)
I don't do layers, though- I love the swirl effect -
Here's an example!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2259949/rainbow-cake-pops?sub=2259951

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 10

I made a 6 layer rainbow cake and I used WASC starting with a yellow cake. When I had to make a red/white/blue cake I started with white cake because I needed that white cake in the middle. Yellow cake will work lovely but the blue will need a lot of blue and a little purple to take out the yellow. I don't know how many layers you are doing, but shallow layers all piled up get tall fast! Happy Baking!

ButRCream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButRCream Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 10

If you used a box mix, I would use a white cake just to make the colors a little truer - I used a white vanilla scratch cake for my daughter's and especially using the Americolor Electric colors, you get nice, vivid coloring! Hope this helps! icon_smile.gifImage[/img]

NanaSandy Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 12:56am
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much for your imput! I think I am going to experiment on a small 6' , just to see what happens with colors and stacking. I am going to do the thin layers, starting with the yellow cake mix. (as I have heard from here that it shouldn't matter too much), and then of course use the Ameri Color Gel Colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%