Why Royal Vs Buttercream When Piping?

Decorating By Bakers_Wife_09 Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 4:18am by kakeladi

Bakers_Wife_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers_Wife_09 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 7

Why is Royal better vs Buttercream when piping?

6 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 7

On what? If on fondant, royal is better because it dries and won't smudge. It's also easier to pipe with royal then buttercream.

On buttercream, you can't pipe royal because it will melt. So you have to pipe with buttercream.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 7

One is not necessarily better than the other. It all depends on the context of your design, as Jen mentioned.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

I never, ever pipe with Royal. I just thin my bc so if flows out nice and smooth.

Bakers_Wife_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers_Wife_09 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 7

Ok, thanks! I have a related question. I did a cake dummy with white buttercream then piped it with blue buttercream, after 2 days the blue bled into the white and looked horrible. How do I fix that?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 12:08am
post #6 of 7

I have never had that problem, but I think meringue powder prevents bleeding to a degree.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 4:18am
post #7 of 7

You really can't 'fix' it.
Bleeding comes from using icing that has just freshly been colored; The darker the color the more chance of it bleeding; &/OR because the consistency of the b'cream is too soft.
Meringue powder won't help really. It can help the b'cream crust some but you have to use so much of it and then it makes the taste of the icing 'off'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%