Rhinestone Banding Do You Rent It?

Business By Katiebelle74 Updated 30 Aug 2012 , 6:08am by Katiebelle74

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 6:59am
post #1 of 12

Ok lately when brides have come in for tastings they keep asking me if the rhinestone banding is something they can rent from me?? I have always purchased it and sold it to the bride with the cake and they keep it. What does everyone else do? Sell it along with the cake? Rent it? or what? also where do you most like to buy it from? I am price shopping.

11 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 7:39am
post #2 of 12

I add it to the price of the cake. I don't think I'd want it back. I would think it might get rusty or discolored after washing it, if it was on a buttercream or whipped cream cake. I buy mine at Michaels, Joanns or Hobby Lobby and always use the 40% discount coupon!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 9:15am
post #3 of 12

I agree, I add it into the price of the cake. I really dont want it back especially not to use it on anyone elses cake. I dont know what they do with it or how they treat it after they get so, NO backsees, as we used to say when we were little, LOL

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 12

I build it into the cost of the cake. The client has the option to purchase it themselves or get it from us. We get ours from diamond party confetti.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 12

Like others said, because you can't really wash it, it wouldn't be returnable.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 12

i would say no also. next time someone asks and you tell them no why not ask them if they would be comfortable having a 'used' band on their cake. They probably all think they would be the first users.

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 12

Any suggestions where to buy the rhinestone banding ribbon that doesn't cost an arm or a leg?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 12

Diamond party confetti dot com is the best and no I wouldn't rent it out - even if it came back in amazing and sanitary condition, what are the odds that you are going to need that exact width and length (especially) again anytime soon?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:27am
post #9 of 12

I ordered rhinestone bands from Saveoncrafts.com

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/cakebanding.html

The cost is just over $. 52 cents a foot for 1/2" wide , and that's only about $1.59 for a 12" cake.

CreativeCakeFactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakeFactory Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:17am
post #10 of 12

southerncross- how does that band look from Save on Crafts? I've wanted to order it but it says its not rhinestones and I wasn't sure about it.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:35am
post #11 of 12

it actually looks good. I was looking for an inexpensive alternative to the real rhinestone band (my bride doesnt have the money to do the real bling) and I decided to take a chance on this because I was ordering from saveoncrafts anyway and the $5. addition didn't add anything to the postage! Now this was an evening reception so I'm not sure I would chose it for display in bright summer sun...but I'm not sure I would want even real rhinestones in bright lights. The saveoncrafts band reflected the candle light on the table and the bride was very pleased. I'm sorry I dont have a picture for you. I forgot my camera when i finished set up so now I'm waiting for the bride to get her pics back and hopefully will let me have one of the cake.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 6:08am
post #12 of 12

I too have wondered about the save-on-crafts one. FYI I did end up ordering banding from amazon that is the same as diamond party confetti banding. Thanks for the replies. Was starting to wonder since there were a lot of brides assuming that it was something they rented.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%