Looking For Advice For Starting A Home Based Cupcakery In Ca

Business By NoelleM Updated 7 Feb 2012 , 5:02am by NoelleM

NoelleM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoelleM Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 3:03am
post #1 of 4

Hello all!
I'm new to this site, I'm very glad that I found it because it's packed with resources icon_smile.gif Anyways, I'm looking to start my own Gourmet Cupcake business out of my home. I have a somewhat solid business plan worked out, I'm planning on purchasing the Cake Boss software (i've heard nothing but amazing things about it, I've started building a website, and I've already made a facebook & twitter page. My main problem is the legalities of getting a legitimate business started... I have no idea what to do in that aspect! I live in the Inland Empire of California, San Jacinto of Riverside County to be exact. Is it even possible for me to have a home based bakery here? If there's anyone near me who can mentor me until I get on my feet I'd be ever so grateful! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 3:42am
post #2 of 4

California does not have a cottage food law so you'll need to either build a commercial kitchen on your property (assuming you are OK zoning-wise) or find a commercial kitchen to rent.

I did a quick search and didn't find any standalone commercial kitchen rental facilities in your area, but you may be able to rent out the kitchen of an existing business during off hours or a church kitchen.

The county dept of health may be able to help you find a rental facility as well: http://www.rivcoeh.org/opencms/rivcoeh/Contact_Us.html

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 3:51am
post #3 of 4

Sorry, but home based baking is illegal in CA. (Unless the rules changed when I wasn't looking.) You will need to look into renting commercial kitchen space.
There is a petition online you can sign to try to get a cottage food law, here's the link:
http://www.petitiononline.com/CAHBLP/petition.html

NoelleM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoelleM Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 5:02am
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys, i appreciate it. It's just going to take a little longer, but I'm not going to give up on my dreams icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%