Buttercream With Real Butter - Crusting? Can It Be Done?

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 6 Feb 2012 , 8:47pm by AnnieCahill

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 8

Can you even make a crusting buttercream without shortening?

I HATE the taste of buttercream with shortening. It always, regardless of how it's done, tastes funny to me. I want to do an all butter buttercream however, I also need it to be able to hold up under fondant.

I know someone here uses all butter buttercream and fondant...so help! icon_smile.gif Thanks!!

7 replies
Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 8

The buttercream recipe that I use has no crisco, and I think it crusts better than most of it's shortening counterparts!! Let me know if you are interested in my recipe.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 8

I would like your recipe!! icon_wink.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 8

I use an all butter BC as well and it holds up just fine under fonant.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 8

vista, i am also interested in your recipe. i make the all butter smbc, imbc or french meringue buttercream. They hold up under fondant. But , is yours the powder sugar kind with all butter. please post tia

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 8

This is a recipe that I found on a blog. I have adapted it a little to my taste.

Ingredients:
1 stick butter, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 to 5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)*

Instructions:
1. Cream butter in large mixing bowl on low speed until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk, vanilla and salt.

2. Blend with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 1 minute more. Add more milk if the frosting seems too stiff.

The addition of salt helps to cut the sweetness. You can add more or less for desired taste.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 8

THANK YOU!

I am going to try this out for my next cake!!!! I knew there had to be someone out there who had a trust recipe!

icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 8

Crusting has nothing to do with shortening. It's the fat to sugar ratio in the recipe. Shortening is usually used to cut the butter flavor or to provide more stability in a recipe using mostly butter.

I don't usually make crusting recipes anymore, but when I do, my recipe uses a very tiny amount of shortening compared to the butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%