Fondant/gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By tcbalgord Updated 6 Feb 2012 , 2:58pm by BizCoCos

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 3

I was having a bunch of random thoughts this morning and got to wondering how many of you make flowers and store them for potential use later? What are your methods and at what point to deem the "old"?

2 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 3

I love making flowers out of gum paste. (I've found Nicholas Lodge's recipe to be my favorite.) I've been primarily practicing with various techniques so don't have a huge inventory. I keep several examples of each stuck in styrofoam or non-skid sheets, in large, non-air-tight plastic boxes, labeled as to the variety. These are stacked in a dark closet in my cake room. I have had no trouble with dust or fading. I don't really know their "expiration date", but when I get a call for a particular flower I have a memory of how to make it and an example at hand.

Jan

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 3

I have bunches stored in tissue paper and bubble wrap with no direct sunlight. It looks like they could last forever, lol, some are like 9 mos. od. I need the room however, thus I'm tossing them. As long as they look as perfect as the day they were made I would use them. When I first started making them some became soft which I just tossed-I believe those were made from a combo of fondant and gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%