Colorflow And Buttercream Transfer Questions

Decorating By jess605 Updated 6 Feb 2012 , 6:01pm by TexasSugar

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 3:24am
post #1 of 5

I saw some videos on how to make figures for cakes using colorflow. What exactly is colorflow and where can I get it? Is using it similar to making a buttercream transfer?

Can colorflow images be placed vertically on the side of the cake or can they only be placed horizontally on the top of the cake? What about buttercream transfers, can those be placed vertically on the side or are they too fragile?

Just looking for some general info before I dive into trying these two techniques. Thanks!

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 8:04am
post #2 of 5

Hi,

Colorflow is used like BC transfer but without the BC. It dries nice and shiny and hard too. It holds its shape very well. You can get it from Michaels, Hobby Lobby rtc. It comes in a canister, poweder form and is made by Wilton.

It takes days to dry though, unlike BCT takes a few hours depending on yr project.

Yes, you can use it like a BCT. Horizontal, vertical etc.... THEY ARE VERY FRAGILE as well. Just like a BCT but a lil more.

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 5

Have you ever worked with royal icing? Color flow is alot like that, and in fact you can use royal icing to do the same thing. If you do want to use color flow, it is a powder mix you add to powder sugar and water. You can find it at craft stores.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Color-Flow-Decorations

Color flow pieces dry hard so they can be easily put against the side of the cake, or even stand up on the top of a cake (with a stick down in the cake).

Buttercream transfers can be put on the side of the cake. They are frozen, and then quickly placed on the cake. They do need to lay flat against a surface because once the buttercream thaws it is like any other decoration on the cake.

Color flow pieces need to be done 24 to 48 hours before the cake is due as they need time to dry. The larger the piece the more drying time it will need.

Buttercream transfers can be done last minute as they only need time to freeze. Some people prefer to freeze them over night, but most of mine are not in the freezer longer than an hour or two, and I have often times used them in less than an hour.

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, this is so very helpful! I have worked with royal icing, but some of the time it ends up with bubbles in iticon_sad.gif I am still a novice and I feel like I've got gumpaste work down 100%, but I want to branch out and try some other techniques.

Can I make colorflow decorations a few weeks in advance? I want to do something really spectacular for my son's 3rd bday cake (peanuts and snoopy cake with all the characters) and if I go all out, its going to be random nights and weekends, an hour here and an hour there that I have time to make the figures. Alternatively,I was thinking of doing them in gumpaste.

So on the BCT - just as long as there is a buttercream base behind them, they can go pretty much anywhere on the cake - right?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 5

Yes you can do color flow pieces a week ahead of time.

I have done a FBCT on the side of the cake, but I think they area easier to put on the tops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%