T Rex Head And Tail - Newbie Help!!!

Decorating By LukeyT Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 7:01pm by ittybittybakery

LukeyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeyT Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 9:24am
post #1 of 5

Hi All, i am new to the world of cake making and need some advice!!

I am been asked to make a T Rex Dinosuar 3D cake of my god sons birthday party, after I made I lovely 2 tier birthday cake for my mother in law now I have for orders coming in for all members of the family which I love and am so honoured that they want me to make their cakes.

So I searched online and I have a step by step guild to how to make the cake but when it came to the head and tail they used rice krisps treats instead of cake!! I have seen a sudden burst of cake pops all over Facebook so when I search on google and saw how easy they are to make I got wondering could I make the head and tail in the same way has cake pops are made? The shape them the same way I would the rice krisps keep them in place with a skewer?

Any advice would be great...... icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
GabRoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GabRoc Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 9:43am
post #2 of 5

In my experience, rice crispy treats are MUCH easier to work with than cake pops. I suppose it's worth a try though... but if it were me, I'd have RCT's on hand as a backup.

LukeyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeyT Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 11:43am
post #3 of 5

GabRoc thank u for ur advice and I make some RCT's just in case it all goes wrong.

How long will my sponge cake stay fresh before I have cover with fondant? I work a 9-5 job and the party is next Saturday at 10am. So I won't have much time so I want to make sure that I have everything ready!! icon_sad.gif

GabRoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GabRoc Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 5

Well, you have several options.
First of all, cover it with cling wrap as much as you can to help it from drying out. Sponge cake is a pretty hearty cake, so you'd probably be good for about 24 hours... though the sooner the better of course. If it's going to be more than that, you can clingwrap it and stick it in the fridge or freezer. Chilled cakes are MUCH easier to carve and to crumb coat, so I tend to do this with my cakes anyway. But word to the wise, you want to make sure your cake has come down to room temp BEFORE covering it with fondant, ortherwise your fondant can sweat. Learned that one the hard way. Best of luck to you!

ittybittybakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ittybittybakery Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 5

Wondering how this worked out for you? I've used cake-pop material in small areas to fill gaps, etc. before but never as a full form of a 3D cake... I'd be afraid it would not be sturdy enough, like RKT. Please post how it worked for you, with pics if you wouldn't mind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%