Clay Extruder

Decorating By momd68 Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 4:50am by Lovelyladylibra

momd68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momd68 Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 7:00am
post #1 of 12

What kind of clay extruder do I need to get?

11 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 7:13am
post #2 of 12

Hi,

Most ppl have the Makins Clay Extruder, at least when i was looking to get one, thats what ppl had. I have it and i love it!! Its inexpensive and very handy for me icon_smile.gif

I'm sure others might have other brands to share with you as well.

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 9:35am
post #3 of 12

I have a Makins clay extruder. Easy to use and clean.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 12

I too have the Merkins clay extruder that I got at hobby lobby. It was $25, less 40% off coupon and a $15 gift certificate I got for my birthday. I ended up paying just over $1 (due to taxes) for it! I've seen it offered online for about $60, and that did NOT include S&H. A rip off, if you ask me! Definitely shop around.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 12

I bought Makins over the red/black one because:

a) cheaper
b) can fit more in the barrel
c) the red/black one has lots of little parts that can break, and if they do you need to buy a whole new one.

The only drawback is that the red/black one can be used with one hand, the green Makins one can't. But I have never found that to be a problem. You turn the handle a few times and it keeps on coming out even after you've finished turning.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 12

Yes to the Makins green extruder. Here's some tips...be sure and grease the inside of the tube with some crisco...and rub some on your fondant or gum paste as well before inserting. It makes it a LOT easier to push out and easier to clean. And that's another thing...Makin's extruder is easy to clean and it MUST be cleaned thoroughly after your project is over.

No matter how much I wipe the tube and the screw-in area, little tiny pieces of fondant and gumpaste get between the grooves and can harden and make it difficult to screw all the way in the next time you use it. I just took mine partially apart and you wouldn't believe the gunk that was up at the top! I soaked it in hot soapy water and took a toothpick to get stuff out of the grooves and now it's like it's brand new. I LOVE my extruder!

dlyoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlyoung Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:15am
post #7 of 12

I just ordered one but I'm not sure what to do with it, other than branches and swirls.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:18am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung

I just ordered one but I'm not sure what to do with it, other than branches and swirls.

I thought the same thing when I got mine, but have used it for loads. Hair, bumble bee stripes, bumble bee stingers, borders, long sausages to cut tiny circles from, loads of stuff! You'll find that when you're doing your cake you'll know when it's useful.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:30am
post #9 of 12

After doing research, the "Walnut Hollow" extruder got the best and highest reviews over any other brand including the Makins. I don't like the Makins personally, and I bought the Walnut Hollow. You can get at Micheals and try and use a coupon for a good deal. AC moore does NOT carry this brand. Good luck

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 3:40am
post #10 of 12

I have a Walnut Hollow extruder and I love it. Got it at Michaels.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 4:16am
post #11 of 12

I clean my Makins with a toothbrush. It gets in all the grooves and it goes completely through the barrel.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 4:50am
post #12 of 12

Im not sure what brand mine was but I got it at micheals... I lost one of the disc yesterday though (i think I accidentally through it away) I hope I can replace it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%