New Comer To The Website Looking For Any Sort Of Help! :)

Decorating By Ms_CynthiaH Updated 4 Feb 2012 , 11:01pm by yummymummycupcakes

Ms_CynthiaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ms_CynthiaH Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new here to this whole website. icon_smile.gif I've actually never been on any forum before so this is my first one and I'm kind of lost as to how I find exactly what I need here. My fiance is the one who actually pushed me to join some type of forum group because he knows how much I love baking, but I don't have anyone to share the common interest with. So here I am. Can't wait to get started and hopefully one day become as amazing as some of you on here! icon_smile.gif

Basically what I really need is well, the basics. Don't get me wrong though, I do know how to bake. icon_smile.gif I'm just what many people would probably call an ammature. I've done a lot of baking through Googling
recipes, I absolutely LOVE making things from scractch, and I've also done a class at Joann's Fabrics, but with my work schedule and having a baby I wasn't able to go passed the first level... and plus, I didn't really like the way any of their flavors tasted when it came to making a cake from scratch or frosting. So what I'm here for is to learn everything there is to know about baking! icon_smile.gif Mainly I want to learn how to make cakes with fondont. Any ideas, tips, advice, recipies, anything at all, whether it be on working with fondont (which is what I'm mainly looking for) or even good frosting or cake recipies, would help and I would greatly appreciate it!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Baking is definitely my passion and what I just love to do, but after the Joann's classes I actually got really unmotivated with the results I got from taking the class, but I can't find anything I would love to do more than bake so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things!

Thanks in advance for any help!! Hopefully I get the hang of this website soon!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
vickie43410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickie43410 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 5

You found the right website! There people here are extremely helpful and some of the most talented decorators that there is. Make sure that you look through the recipe section and there are lots of tutorials too. so, have fun and welcome

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 5

If you are looking to decorate cakes; I suggest you go back to Jo-Anns and take more classes.
You will learn the basics. You just can't beat "hands on" learning. Just because they push you to buy their products, does not mean you must.
You can also learn a lot from Youtube videos, but again it helps to have the basic techniques you'll
learn in a class.
You've already found your best resource: Cake Central!! The information you get here is priceless.
Everyone shares their best recipes, techniques, coping, management skills and best wishes for a successful outcome. Good Luck!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 5

Welcome. This site has a wealth of information. I'm assuming in your class at Joanne's you were showed how to level and cover a cake in buttercream? If you are interested in learning to work with fondant I would suggest googling - how to cover a cake with fondant. There are lots of videos on You Tube. I took the Wilton 1&2 classes and that was great for getting me started and interested in learning more. I then found Cake Central and a whole new cake world opened up for me! I have learned most of what I know from this site and Sharon Zambito's DVDs. Her work is amazing and her instructional DVDs are the best. I highly recommend them. www.sugaredproductions.com

yummymummycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycupcakes Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 5

This is actually my first post on a forum but I saw your post and had to reply. I stumbled across Rylan's forum post "Hundreds of Tutorials in Here" (if you search for it and then click on the forums results it should, hopefully, be there!). I found it extremely helpful and packed full of tips. I now feel quite confident, enough so that I am going to try my first fondant cake tomorrow (fingers crossed that it will be decent!).

Anyway just had to reply and let you know that little gem of a post. Hope you find it useful!

Fellow newbie!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%