Changing A Design Last Minute...

Decorating By bellacakecreations Updated 5 Feb 2012 , 7:25am by msthang1224

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone else has had to tweak a design a few hours before a delivery. How do you handle it with a client. I practiced and practiced worked out my recipe but inevitably the one thing that did not work out this morning was using a diamond mat on my buttercream. The bottom tier was supposed to have diamond and the top scrolls at this point I am considering doing all scrolls I'm sure it will look good just not exactly what the client asked for. Anybody?

7 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 8

Whats happening with the diamond effect? Maybe we can help you get that effect on there

bellacakecreations Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 8

Well when I practiced the other day I used dummies to make sure the buttercream consistency was right but when I iced it last night and let it settle for a bit it started slumping. So I remade the buttercream and let it crust a bit but when I used the mat even just the tiniest bit of pressure is making it break/crack (NEVER had that happen before) and towards the bottom it still seems to pool a bit because the bottom is sticky. And one side in particular JUST ONE ( I have already dubbed the back side LOL) is slumping again. from the top edge it's seperating and sliding down. It's iced with the same buttercream the same way. It's just weird!?!? The top tier coated and smoothed fine but the bottom one is giving me ALL the problems. I am putting chocolate covered strawberries around on parts of the cake but not enough for all the issues I'm having at the moment. I do have a couple of other cakes going out today one white white buttercream and diamonds that came out PERFECT so I can't spend a WHOLE lot of time on it but I didn't want to deviate from the design either.

msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 8

WOW....I'm trying to think of what could be the problem but I haven't arrived at anything yet...smh.... It can't be the temp bc you said that you already iced top tier with the same icing, right? OMG...I'm so sorry that yr having this problem. Did you let the initial coat crust before you added the 2nd coat?

You know, sometimes when my BC is too soft for me, i put it into the fridge for a bit until it thickens from the cold air and then I ice my cake, it seems to work too.

I wish I had a better solution for you right now.

bellacakecreations Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 8

Tell me about it Lol so I don't know what happened but I made a 3rd batch of chocolate buttercream and completely re-did the tier and thank God it worked!!!! It's not as clean as I would have liked it to be but it is done. Thanks so much MsThang I think I just needed some moral support icon_biggrin.gif I'll post a pic as soon as I get a chance

msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

CONGRATS!!!!

I know how it feels to have just 1 thing go wrong and things are down to the wire.
I'm soooo happy that it worked out for you icon_smile.gif Yes, sometimes thats exactly what we need and even though I didnt have a solution for you this time, I'm glad that I could be here to listen icon_smile.gif

bellacakecreations Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 4:37am
post #7 of 8

So this is what I ended up with....like I said not as clean as I wanted but I got the design I needed. FINALLY

Ok can't post the image but it's in my gallery Again thanks for the help/support

msthang1224 Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 7:25am
post #8 of 8

YOU DID IT!!!

Your cake looks great icon_smile.gif Wooohooo, go Bellacakecreations!!

yr welcome, anytime icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%