Wood Effect Icing

Decorating By Tangolilly Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 12:32am by tboysmom

Tangolilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tangolilly Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I have to make a wedding cake in the shape of a coffin (weird, I know, but it's for a funeral director). He wants it to be very realistic so I have to make the fondant look like polished oak. Does anyone have any idea how to get the wood grain effect?

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

People have different ways of getting a wood grain effect. you can use a mixture of white and brown fondant and roll them together into a marble like effect then roll, cover and paint that with different colors, brown n orange to get the wood color.

OR
you can use a wood grain impression mat. i found one in Michaels that came in a set of 3 textured mats made by Duff

OR
You can cover your cake with brown fondant and score it like wood and then paint over that to enhance the look

OR
I have seen where someone used a fan brush to get a woodgrain look as well. You can get one of those in the art dept in Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc.

HTH

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 5

Oh and for the shiny effect, of course, ppl use different techniques but these are the ones I use:

Brush your fondnat project with vegetable oil, Confectioners Glaze or you could steam it (haven't done this one yet) icon_smile.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 1:57am
post #4 of 5

I bought a faux wood grain roller (Martha Stewart brand) from Home Depot. I roll it in brown powder color mixed with vodka & drag it across slightly dried fondant. Hth!

tboysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tboysmom Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 12:32am
post #5 of 5

I needed the samething for a half pipe and my pics are on my page but i rolled out gum paste and then drew the lines that I wanted to show then took airbrush paint with a brush and panted it with black and brown and i loved the look. I found a video on the net on how to do it and it looked so real. I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%