Cake Sizes & Drying Bows?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 4 Feb 2012 , 3:44pm by msthang1224

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 3

What size cakes/tiers are these? This will be my first 3 tiered cake & I want to get it right.
http://i40.tinypic.com/23v70y.jpg

Also, how do you get a large bow (like in the photo) to sit on top of the cake/on the edge like that without falling off or the bow breaking?
Or should I ask... how do you dry the bow? Do you dry it directly on the cake with some cotton in the loops or do you dry them on a pan then later put it on the cake? To me, it looks like it was dried on the cake because of the way it forms to the cake, BUT I'm scared to do that because if I make the cake the day before, will it have enough time to dry like that?

Last week I did a cake that needed a gum paste bow to sit on the ledge of the cake. I dried mine on a pan then put it on the cake & it almost broke & fell off, I had to kind of prop it up with tooth picks. It was like the bow was too stiff & didn't really form to the cake, that or it was too big. Plus it was really humid that day & I think I needed a bigger bottom cake to have more edge for the bow.

Another thing, how do you get your bow in that shape? Where it's flat on the bottom against the cake. The bow I made was straight in the center & you could see light under it when put on top of the cake.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

2 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 3

Just a guess, but I would say it's a 12/9/6. I would definitely make the bow ahead of time. It needs time to dry. It can be attached to the cake with a little melted white chocolate. If your worried about it not having the right bend to fit the cake the way you want it to, dry the bow on a the side of a round cake dummy that is turned on it's side.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with Price on the sizes and the bow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%