Do You Have A Blogspot?

Lounge By loveattraction Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 2:18pm by trishalynn0708

loveattraction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveattraction Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 22

Hello!
Do you cakers have a blogspot? Is it for cakes or other general things? I have been blogging again after leaving it for a few months and was wanting to check out some of the other blogs icon_biggrin.gif
Mines is mainly for my cakes but I have also decided to include my progress doing the '101 things in 1001 days'.

My blogspot url is www.lets-cake-out.blogspot.com if you fancy checking it out and then I can be nosey and follow yours icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 22

I have a blog but not on blog spot. I only blog about cakes and mostly I do tutorials. The address is in my signature! Your 101 things challenge sounds fun!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 22

I just passed the one year mark for my blog. I have very mixed feelings about it. One is because I don't have many subscribers and get many comments which then makes me not feel the need to blog that often. So what do I do? I will probably continue the blog if I can committ to maintaining it more! My blog focus on cakes and desserts.

loveattraction Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I have a blog but not on blog spot. I only blog about cakes and mostly I do tutorials. The address is in my signature! Your 101 things challenge sounds fun!

I have just bookmarked your site, that pink ruffle cake looks so cute, and very impressive! icon_biggrin.gif I saw lots of people doing the 101 things so I though I would give it a go! Its quite fun, but that may just be because I love to make lists hehe :p I think the origin is 'day zero'- not sure of the site but there are a lot of entries in google if you want to check it out icon_smile.gif

loveattraction Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

I just passed the one year mark for my blog. I have very mixed feelings about it. One is because I don't have many subscribers and get many comments which then makes me not feel the need to blog that often. So what do I do? I will probably continue the blog if I can committ to maintaining it more! My blog focus on cakes and desserts.

Argh totally thought I had replied to this earlier icon_sad.gif
Woohoo for the one year mark! icon_biggrin.gif I only have one follower so far so no comments either! But I mainly do it so that I can just see my progress and have a place where all of my photos are with wee comments along with it icon_smile.gif I can't follow yours cos its not a blogspot, but will definately check it out for more desert ideas icon_biggrin.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 22

I have a blog as part of my website. Writing and maintaining a blog is more work than I had anticipated. To keep regular followers you must post regularly, and the content must be interesting or readers will not return.

I started it three years ago to support my book. But I wanted it interesting for me, too. After a short time I decided to post about more than starting a home-based food business. I now post about local issues (we have a forty plus member baking society), baking classes, fun experiments in my kitchen, and bakery tours.

It takes a commitment to building a following. Even when you don't feel like writing it's important to post something. The lack of comments is not always related to the number of followers. Most people just don't comment. Look at your site stats, that will show you how many people read your blog. Or instead of a blog, use Facebook. Many people have done that successfully and it takes less work.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 1:59am
post #7 of 22

I started a blog about my experiences in cake decorating competitions. You can access it via the www button under my signature line. It's just a fun, creative outlet for me but I haven't posted in a while. Since I'm working on a competition cake right now, and will be entering it in a show next weekend, I will soon icon_smile.gif.

I'll definitely check out yours!

MimiFix, I want to add that I've been reading your blog for a while and I really enjoy it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 2:05am
post #8 of 22

I've been doing my blog for a little over two years. I also do a review blog, then one that's on my website that's more for brides who are planning, and one for my bridal association. And one more for fun on blogher icon_smile.gif I didn't realize I had so many...

With the comments, people tend to read and not comment, so look at your blog statistics instead of the number of comments. If you're on blogspot you can put some code in the widgets for google analytics, and that gives a better overview than the blogger statistics do. Those tend to double or triple the number of visitors that you get because it counts the spiders that crawl the web as well as the actual people who go there.

If you want a blog critique...or even if you don't icon_wink.gif I'd suggest that you change the font to something that's not so "bubbly", if that makes sense. The font that you're using is a little hard to read for long periods.

Also, break up the paragraphs into shorter segments. I tend to do the same thing, which would be to write like you'd normally do, but for blogs the style is different. You should break things up into short segments, two or three sentences at the most. I find it really hard and I usually end up writing longer paragraphs...

People tend to skim blogs, so you have to arrange them differently than normal.

For a quick way to get your blog more notice, you can sign up for networked blogs on facebook in their apps, and whenever you publish a new entry it will show up on your facebook page. Then if you have a twitter account you can link your facebook page to that so that the blog entry will show up on your twitter account too.

You do have to post regularly, at least weekly. It takes time for people to notice your blog, so don't get too worried about it.

loveattraction Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 7:24am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

I have a blog as part of my website. Writing and maintaining a blog is more work than I had anticipated. To keep regular followers you must post regularly, and the content must be interesting or readers will not return.

I started it three years ago to support my book. But I wanted it interesting for me, too. After a short time I decided to post about more than starting a home-based food business. I now post about local issues (we have a forty plus member baking society), baking classes, fun experiments in my kitchen, and bakery tours.

It takes a commitment to building a following. Even when you don't feel like writing it's important to post something. The lack of comments is not always related to the number of followers. Most people just don't comment. Look at your site stats, that will show you how many people read your blog. Or instead of a blog, use Facebook. Many people have done that successfully and it takes less work.

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you for the good advice, I think regularity may be what will get me down! Your does look very interesting and I like that there are posts on the business side of thiings as well. Although the post on valentines day was very creative icon_smile.gif I guess am the same as in I will read lots of peoples blogs but will tend to not leave a comment :/ thanks again for the words of wisdom and will definately be checking out your blog properly when I get onto a computer after work icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 7:42am
post #10 of 22

I had to turn off the comments due to a design glitch, changed designers, and haven't fixed it yet.

My site tells me the landing page and my blogs are one of the best things I do to draw attention to my site. I also use the blogs to bring my site to the first page in a natural search when I want to be in a category.

Finally, my blog, the specific post taken down for now, got me my national contract. It also was responsible for getting me a national offer that I could not accept.

loveattraction Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 9:18am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I started a blog about my experiences in cake decorating competitions. You can access it via the www button under my signature line. It's just a fun, creative outlet for me but I haven't posted in a while. Since I'm working on a competition cake right now, and will be entering it in a show next weekend, I will soon icon_smile.gif.

I'll definitely check out yours!

MimiFix, I want to add that I've been reading your blog for a while and I really enjoy it.

Oooo good luck with the competition and show icon_biggrin.gif

loveattraction Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 9:44am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I've been doing my blog for a little over two years. I also do a review blog, then one that's on my website that's more for brides who are planning, and one for my bridal association. And one more for fun on blogher icon_smile.gif I didn't realize I had so many...

With the comments, people tend to read and not comment, so look at your blog statistics instead of the number of comments. If you're on blogspot you can put some code in the widgets for google analytics, and that gives a better overview than the blogger statistics do. Those tend to double or triple the number of visitors that you get because it counts the spiders that crawl the web as well as the actual people who go there.

If you want a blog critique...or even if you don't icon_wink.gif I'd suggest that you change the font to something that's not so "bubbly", if that makes sense. The font that you're using is a little hard to read for long periods.

Also, break up the paragraphs into shorter segments. I tend to do the same thing, which would be to write like you'd normally do, but for blogs the style is different. You should break things up into short segments, two or three sentences at the most. I find it really hard and I usually end up writing longer paragraphs...

People tend to skim blogs, so you have to arrange them differently than normal.

For a quick way to get your blog more notice, you can sign up for networked blogs on facebook in their apps, and whenever you publish a new entry it will show up on your facebook page. Then if you have a twitter account you can link your facebook page to that so that the blog entry will show up on your twitter account too.

You do have to post regularly, at least weekly. It takes time for people to notice your blog, so don't get too worried about it.

How do you manage to keep up with all those blogs as well as do amazing cakes?! You must be so organised, very inspiring! I will look into the widgits, I hadn't even heard of doing that :/
Hanks for the adviice on my actual blog layout. My plan is to completely redo my blog, hopefully I will get time to change about my previous posts, but if not at least I now have the knowledge to change the way I write my blogs and hopefully won't ramble on for too long anymore :p I think your blog is one that I have gone through and read your posts! So thanks for taking the time to give me advice icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 22

I have no life, that's how I get it all done icon_wink.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:42am
post #14 of 22

loveattraction I just went back to your blog and saw you had separated your paragraphs. Extra white space definitely makes it more enticing!

Elcee focusing your blog on cake competitions holds huge interest for CCers.

costumeczar you are totally amazing. You must love to write!

scp1127 I disabled the comment box on my blog, too. It was misused by folks who had nothing to say but only wanted click-throughs to their blogs which were unrelated to my content. I now use Facebook for comments.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 10:42am
post #15 of 22

Mimi, I was getting the spam because the first designer didn't add the filter. But I do have that feature where I have to approve each one. It just hasn't been a priority to add back.

By the way Mimi, I really enjoy your blog.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 22

My blog is just about my life in south africa lol pretty boring, but there are recipes here and there that i post: www.tails.co.za

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 22

I've been blogging for a couple of years now. I think one of my favorite things about it is being able to look back through the pictures and see the progress I've made. I don't do many tutorials, but every time I find a tutorial I want to go back to, I link to it on my blog. It's been a nice reference for me, and hopefully others have found the tutorial links useful as well.

Thanks for starting this thread. I love finding new cake blogs!

costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 22

Woot woot! I found out this morning that a wedding marketing business chose my blog as one of the best wedding business blogs for 2012. I know it's totally subjective on their part, but I'll take it! http://t.co/UCnTMcrm

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 22

Congrats on the award, Costumeczar! Great blog!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 9:47pm
post #20 of 22

I'm just a cake hobbyist but also enjoy blogging very much. Cake decorating just gives me a reason to blah blah blah about something. I think I suffer from an on-line equivalent of "likes the sound of her own voice!"

http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 11:26pm
post #21 of 22
trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 2:18pm
post #22 of 22

I just started my blog... It's going well, I like being able to keep track of my progress and what not.. I have no one following me yet but I am enjoying it! =)

http://misstrishsbakedcreations.blogspot.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%