Eyeballs: Any Ideas How To Make?

Decorating By Reimagining_Confections Updated 5 Feb 2012 , 6:27pm by Reimagining_Confections

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Fellow Cakers,

I haven't been on here much these past few months, my father passed away and my mother had triple by-pass surgery.

I am making my daughters birthday cake: American Girl. I am actually making a full sized as life like as possible American Girl Doll. I have modeled the RKT head arms, torso, and legs. I am planning on covering in modeling chocolate to get detail, then fondant, then attaching.

I could just sculpt the eyes as a part of the head. But the doll clearly has eye sockets little eyeballs have been placed in. So I was thinking of making sockets in the RKT and making eyeballs and potting them in- then modeling the chocolate clay around them.

So what would you make the eyes out of that I can still paint on irises and pupils? Should I make gumpaste eyes? Should I look for candy that is white and the right size(but will the surface allow paint or markers(edible)? I could do sugar- but i don't have any premade sticks and don't want to make a whole batch of isomalt(time- I have alot to do).

Ideas?

3 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 4

Hi,
So sorry to here of your loss and the news of your mother. I'm glad that you remained strong and positive during your family crisis. God Bless you n yr family.

I would make it out of a 50/50 mixture or either or would be fine too. Then do as you suggested and paint the details on for a more realistic look to the eyes.

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 2:13am
post #3 of 4

I've found leaving "eye sockets" in the RKT, then filling with balls of fondant works fine. Cover with the fondant or modeling chocolate (but don't wet or put piping gel over the eyeballs so the modeling chocolate doesn't stick). Then cut a horizontal slit in the modeling chocolate/fondant and push the top half up and the bottom half down. That give you eyelids!

See the picture below...
LL

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks. I will give it a try. Nice cake- btw!

thanks for your help guys. Back to caking. Go Giants or patriots?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%