Using Edible Image On Fondant To Look Like Cloth?

Decorating By gourmetsharon Updated 26 Feb 2012 , 1:52pm by mercedezr

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 7

can you apply an edible image to fondant and then it will be a little flexible to look like cloth?

I have a Scottish theme cake and wanted to make a small kilt. didn't know if the image will crack or will flex with the fondant.

any thoughts appreciated!

6 replies
Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 7

The image will flex as long as you keep it covered right up until you use it and set it in place immediately. Once it dries it starts to crack. At least with my experience. Good luck, sounds like a cool cake.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 7

Yes I did this exact thing, I used an edible image to make a tartan loopy bow and it worked perfectly. A great way to transfer an exact pattern. And yes you do need to work quickly and keep the covered before they dry out. Good luck HTH

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 2:53am
post #4 of 7

thanks! I appreciate your thoughts.
I have done edible images but not in this way so I'm a little nervous.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 10:30am
post #5 of 7

I tried this method to make a flag that was draped over the top of a cake, with folds etc. It cracked on the tops of the folds, despite me keeping it well covered until I put it on.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

A lot depends on the brand of icing sheet you are using. But either way, use shortening to apply it to the fondant, this will allow for movement between the image and the fondant. When looking for a fabric type effect, use the image on sugarveil with a little luster dust. It is an amazing effect. Feels and looks just like fabric

mercedezr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mercedezr Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%