Gum Paste Problems - Is It Just Me?

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 10:52am by Caths_Cakes

dawnybird Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:37am
post #1 of 7

When I use a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant to make figures or roll out and cut shapes I have this problem: Once I use part of the paste, then I gather up the scraps, I can't ever get them to form a smooth ball or sausage again. It's like the gum paste won't stick to itself and there are cracks and creases. I watch tutorials of people making figures and all of their parts are so smooth! What am I doing wrong? I don't let it sit exposed to air very long and I immediately gather my scraps into a ball and wrap them back in plastic wrap. Can I be the only person this is happening to?

6 replies
ptanyer Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 5:22am
post #2 of 7

I have had that happen in the past, but this is what I do now:

1. I roll it out and make my cut outs, and put the scraps in a covered container.

2. Take my scraps and mix with an equal part of some of the remaining fresh mixture of fondant/gumpaste, and proceed as in #1.

3. I continue in this manner until I have finished what I am working on, or until I have used up all the fresh mixture and a little bit of scraps left. Then I add a little shortening to the scraps, and knead it really good until it is completely smooth, and roll it up in plastic wrap until I am ready to use it again.

4. You can also heat it up gently in the microwave and knead until smooth.

I have found that you can only reuse scraps just so long before you have to add some fresh material to it.

Hope that helps!
Pam

dawnybird Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 7

Pam, thanks so much for the advice! I'll definitely try that. Glad to know other people have encountered the same problem.

TexasSugar Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 7

Even though the scraps don't sit out long to really dry out they form a skin over them, and that is what keeps it from sticking.

Mixing it with a little fresh paste does help. I also will mix in a little crisco and then make sure I press pretty hard at first to help get rid of the lines and cracks.

metria Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 7

i had the same problem last night! i nuked it in the microwave and then kneaded it with fresh paste for a while. it eventually all smoothed out again like new.

soozicake Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 10:37am
post #6 of 7

I knead in a small amount of Glycerine, works well.

Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 10:52am
post #7 of 7

i just use elbow grease, squeeeeeze and knead it quite hard for a minute or two and it always comes back together for me, though with certain brands i have had to add a little white fat to it to help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%