Friday Night Cake Club For 2/3/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 4 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:48am
post #1 of 19

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up and whatcha workin on?

Cat

18 replies
catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:50am
post #2 of 19

Hi everyone!

Well, I spent my day working on sugar hydrangeas...never thought they'd take SO long. But they are drying now completely formed and colored. Right this minute I'm waiting on 50 cupcakes to cool so I can frost them for our CubScouts Pinewood Derby which is in the morning. Each year I'm put in charge of the baked goods for the Derby, Blue & Gold and for Bridging...so this is the first of the year.

What are you guys doing?

Cat

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:05am
post #3 of 19

I'm working on a helmet cake and a RKT Lombardi trophy for Sunday. So far, so good, but I'd really like them to magically finish themselves so I can go to bed.

It's been a long, busy week here.

catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:07am
post #4 of 19

I know exactly what you are saying. I JUST finished the cupcakes, packaged them and put them in the larger box for delivery tomorrow and I can't believe I just put in a 13 hour day. UGH! Magic would be nice on days like this<G>

Cat

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:20am
post #5 of 19

I just delivered some super mario cupcakes and now I'm working on a My little pony cake. I'm more excited about the cake I need to make next weekend. A CANDY CAKE! all things sweets. So excited

catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 4:27am
post #6 of 19

My exciting cake this month is actually a pie! Ok, it's a cake that looks like a pie..a cherry pie. Can't wait to get to that one but thats not till the 17th. Lots of orders to get thru before that one.

Cat

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 5:12am
post #7 of 19

The weekend after the cansy cake I'm making a paint can for my dad. Its his birthday. That one should also be fun too

cheatize Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:18am
post #8 of 19

Mmm, candy! Is My Little Pony carved?

I made the fondant and iced the helmet. Now I'm going to relax and forget about it all until tomorrow when I will panic a bit and tell myself I should have done more tonight. icon_smile.gif

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:20am
post #9 of 19

Kinda slow this week as far as decorated cakes were concerned. But we're looking at a lot of cupcakes and cookies on order tomorrow for the superbowl. So far it looks like the giants have pretty good support here in LA, although I never thought I'd say the words giants, support, and LA in the same sentence (I'm a baseball fan).

catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:22am
post #10 of 19

The cake I have due isn't until Sunday afternoon and it's buttercream except for the flowers so all I need to do tomorrow after the Derby is to fill and crumbcoat it so it can settle overnight. Then I'll finish it up while my husband is watching The Super Bowl. I'm a baseball girl, not football, so I don't mind missing it. LOL

Cat

catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:33am
post #11 of 19

LOL, Megpi, we are NorCal so we actually DO support the Giants...the baseball ones that is<G>. I love the "clothing" cake and I've done one very similar to the guitar cake before...they are fun! I'm always a bit thankful for this time of the year...if it was like June all the time I'd go nuts...summer is just SO busy that I'm happy to have this slower time of year.

Cat

megpi Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:34am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

The cake I have due isn't until Sunday afternoon and it's buttercream except for the flowers so all I need to do tomorrow after the Derby is to fill and crumbcoat it so it can settle overnight. Then I'll finish it up while my husband is watching The Super Bowl. I'm a baseball girl, not football, so I don't mind missing it. LOL

Cat

Giants fan? I promise I won't hold it against you. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:38am
post #13 of 19

I'm not into sports at all. Between that and having adult children so I'm out of the loop there, I spend a lot of time researching. lol

Has anyone made orchids before? I have to make some for a June cake and I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into.

megpi Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:39am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

LOL, Megpi, we are NorCal so we actually DO support the Giants...the baseball ones that is<G>. I love the "clothing" cake and I've done one very similar to the guitar cake before...they are fun! I'm always a bit thankful for this time of the year...if it was like June all the time I'd go nuts...summer is just SO busy that I'm happy to have this slower time of year.

Cat

Hah, you got my by a minute. I'm a life long dodgers fan, but unlike a few bad eggs, we're nice people. I"m actually get my first mini season plan this year, very excited. I'm also considering going up to Seattle this year to see them play the mariners. I fear I sound a bit obsessed.

And to keep it on topic, thanks! The clothing one was actually for an 8 year old, which cracks me up. The woman that bought it actually told us not to let her husband see the receipt.

catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 6:41am
post #15 of 19

I have made one orchid and I used a cutting kit...one of those that has each piece in a cutter? It wasn't too hard but, like I said, I've only made one. I might not be thrilled if I had 30 to make for a wedding cake.

Cat

cheatize Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 7:02am
post #16 of 19

I calculate that I only need a dozen. I did buy the cutter kit with veiner. It doesn't look too hard but then again I can't conquer the rose. icon_smile.gif

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 7:04am
post #17 of 19

No personal cakes for me this weekend. Gonna have a flurry of football and valentine's cupcakes when I get to work on Sunday. Otherwise going to enjoy a rare Saturday off, hopefully not too disturbed by the impeding Snowmageddon we're supposed to get.

aussiewhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussiewhite Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 9:37am
post #18 of 19

Friday Night Cake Club for 2/3/12, 16, Ummeiko, Feb 03 2012. Having trouble with gumpaste wrestling figure, 4, gidgetdoescakes, Feb 03 2012. Poured fondant ...!
<a href="http://www.aussiewhitegoodsrescue.com.au/"> Appliance Spare parts,Appliance Repairs,kleenmaid repairs</a>

catlharper Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:23pm
post #19 of 19

Aussiewhite...I couldn't quite understand your post? Do you need help with something? Sorry I didn't answer last night, I got knocked off and couldn't get back on!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%