Adding Liquer To Cake?

Baking By dawnybird Updated 4 Feb 2012 , 10:53am by scp1127

dawnybird Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 1:11am
post #1 of 5

Hi. If I want to add an alcoholic ingredient to a cake recipe, such as Kahlua or Amaretto, would I substitute part of the water for it or are there any "rules of thumb" about that? Also, how much would it take to add flavor without overwhelming the cake: a Tbsp? 1/4 cup? Thanks for any advice.

4 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

I typically replace 1/3 to 1/2 of the liquid in the recipe when I add a liquor. If it as a high alchohol content liquor (like bourbon) i simmer it to "cook off" some of the liquor.

scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:08am
post #3 of 5

I must have 50 menu items that feature liqueurs and spirits. After developing this many recipes and many more, I have learned much about alcohol and its properties in baked goods and desserts.

I very seldom add the liqueur to the batter. It just cooks off. For Kahlua, Bailey's Chambord, etc., brushing the cake when it is warm and when it is torted will provide the best flavor. About 12 hours later, and up to 24 hours, the flavors will meld into a smooth combination.

In batters, I only use, for example bourbon or cognac, in a quantity of a few teaspoons. The only batter with more is my champagne and my stout cake.

Do you have a particular recipe or liqueur you would like to try? Let us know.

rosech Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:44am
post #4 of 5

I once replaced beer with brandy in a chocolate stout cake recipe because thats all we had in the house. I put less brandy than the beer amount in recipe. I cannot remember what other modifications I made. I did not write them down but the cake was very good. I would like to make stout cake with guinness, and like OP would like to know if I can sub some of the beer with water? Are stout cakes beery? The brandy chocolate cake I made did not have alcohol smell. The sweetness was well balanced. I want to make that type of cake for some who like it that way.

scp1127 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 10:53am
post #5 of 5

My stout cupcakes are definitely a different flavor than a chocolate cake. I think that it takes 12 and really 24 hours for the cake to mellow. I don't like chocolate so I wasn't a good judge. Last Father's Day we made a ton of these cupcakes. We made them for all of the fathers and distributed them to friends and workers at a nursing home. I have never had so many positive comments, even on a Scharffenberger dark chocolate cake.

So I think that chocolate lovers really go crazy over the stout. I paired this with full top dip in Jameson ganache and a Bailey's IMBC. You can definitely taste a distinct flavor. Whether someone would guess dark stout, I don't know. Conversely, stout in gingerbread is just incredible, not distinctive.

I haven't really looked, but Guiness makes a chocolate stout. People have reported that the sub is delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%