Your Expertise Please!

Decorating By bbsmom Updated 7 Feb 2012 , 5:28pm by ddaigle

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 5

My first time trying to use an edible image...I'll be adding it to the top of a chocolate chip cookie sheet cake which they did not want frosted (just sides). Any recommendations? My thought was to make a "background/frame" of fondant & gumpaste plaque , put the pictures on that & use piping gel to adhere to the cake. If this is a good idea...does anyone know how far in advance I can make the pictures-will the color bleed out if I do the day before? Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! icon_smile.gif And thanks to the forum for suggesting contacting a local bakery to make images!! You guys are wonderful & full of advice for those of us that "dabble"!!

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 2:06am
post #2 of 5

Hi,

I would do it just as you stated using a fondant backing to adhere to pics. USE VERY LITTLE PIPING GEL bc too much will definitely make your pics bleed. You should limit the piping gel areas to just the very edges of all four sizes. A little goes a long way icon_smile.gif

You can make your images and affix to the fondant backing the day before BUT be very careful with the piping gel.

HTH

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:12am
post #3 of 5

I add edible images to a piece of fondant often...like when I put on a chocolate cake, or cream cheese, or anything but a white cake. I always use an offset and smear a very thin layer of butter cream on my fondant. I used piping gel one time and regretted it, as I could see every streak of the piping gel through the image.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:31am
post #4 of 5

Be careful of the buttercream as well bc it makes little stops in the edible image that look like grease spots or wet spots.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Feb 2012 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 5

I have never had that problem with butter cream, as I take an offset and make a thin, complete layer ensuring everthing has a thin coating of bc. I have had that problem with piping gel though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%