Anyone Here From Ma

Business By psurrette Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 5:16pm by DisneyDreamer

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 38

I was just wondering if anyone that is a memeber here lives in MA.
I am looking for some cake clubs and or ices members but not having any luck.
thanks
Paula

37 replies
PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 38

I'm way out here in Western Mass. No clubs or events that I know of. Let me know if you find any.

MoiraRD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoiraRD Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 38

Hi Paula,

I'm a MA resident as well (Eastern MA), but I have never heard of either out here. What about inquiring at AC Moore? I know that they teach the Wilton classes and they may know of a local club. Good luck!

MoiraRD

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 38

Paula,
I'm out in Eastern NY, just across the border from western MA, about 20 min away.
I do not know of any cake clubs in the area.

Mel

tastetester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastetester Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 38

Go to the ICES web page. They should have a rep for MA that you can contact. let us know how it goes. Mass just doesn't seem to have a big cake group.

finally928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finally928 Posted 14 Oct 2005 , 4:54am
post #6 of 38

Hi, Paula --

I'm also out here in Eastern MA (just outside of Boston) and I also haven't heard of any cake clubs around here. Nor have I found anyone who belongs to ICES -- half the people who I talk to who say they are cake decorators haven't even heard of ICES!!

I'd be interested in seeing if you find any clubs as well!

BTW -- I looked at your cakes -- absolutely beautiful!

Jay

PolishMommy Posted 15 Oct 2005 , 6:37am
post #7 of 38

I just sent an email to the ICES rep in MA territory to see if there are any events coming up. I'll let you know what I hear back...

If anyone else is from MA or New England in general and is interested in a local event, post on this thread so we know who's all out there... icon_smile.gif

finally928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finally928 Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 1:43am
post #8 of 38

Hi, PolishMommy ...

I would be very interested in hearing what an ICES rep has to say ..... From what I can see, there only seem to be about 4 of us from MA who are posting on the board regularly!!

Thanks for sending that email!!

Hope to talk to you soon!!
Jay in Malden

psurrette Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 38

I have contacted ICES but havent joined as of yet.
I am from Bridgewater anyone near there?

MoiraRD Posted 19 Oct 2005 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 38

Hi psurrette,

I am in Bellingham just off of 495. Doesn't seem to be a lot out here in MA for cake decorating!

MoiraRD

PolishMommy Posted 21 Oct 2005 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 38

Hi everyone, just wanted to give an update. I sent an email to Chris Olson, of the ICES board of directors representing our area. She gave me the email address of Susan Johnson, [email protected]. Susan is the ICES State Representative for MA.

I sent the email last weekend and haven't heard any reply yet, so I just now emailed Chris back to let her know. I'm impatient, huh?

I'll give you another update when I get any info...

Cross your fingers for not much rain this weekend...

Rashetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rashetta Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 38

Hi Ladies!

You have one more to add to your list of people from Mass. I live in Malden, Ma just 10 minutes from Boston and I am very interested in any local events or cake clubs in Massachusetts.

Rashetta

MoiraRD Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 38

Thanks, PolishMommy! I am quite interested in what they have to say. icon_biggrin.gif

I am also wondering, where do you all shop for supplies? Does anyone know of any supply places other than the usual craft stores? The only one that I have found is out in Hanover. My in-laws live in Hingham, so I am thinking of checking it out the next time we plan a visit out there.

I have checked out my local craft stores - A.C. Moore, Michaels and Jo-Anne Fabrics - but they never seem to have or be able to keep a decent inventory. icon_sad.gif

MoiraRD

psurrette Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 38

Hello,

Lorraine's in Hanover is a great store! She sells everything and is more than willing to help people. I shop there when I am in the area. There is also a place in Taunton called party cake party cake. They have anything you can think of. I know of other places in the Worcester area but not sure how many are from out that way. Let me know and I can help you.

As for ices there is a rep in Plymouth that sent me an email. They have a meeting in Jan. she said when you join you will get all information on meetings. I haven't joined yet sue to a lack of funds..... anyway here is her name and phone number
Sue Johson
Mass ICES REP
(97icon_cool.gif 630-3010

MoiraRD Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 38

Hi psurrette,

Thanks so much for the info on the Taunton store. I actually did come across it in a google search the other day but was hesitant to go since I didn't find a web page! I didn't want to get there and see that it was a wholesale only or not even a store front! icon_surprised.gif I think that I may be heading there some time this week! icon_biggrin.gif

I love Lorraine's site. I am looking forward to getting there one of these days. thumbs_up.gif

Taunton is actually not too far from me. I live right off of 495, so Taunton isn't too far of a trek for me. Thanks again for the info!

MoiraRD

psurrette Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 38

Party Cake is a great store and has every you could want. Dust kitty's too.
Its not the cleanest of places nor is it the neatest. They are very helpful and full of idea's. Just be aware if you go...... Take 495 to the Bay Street exit and follow it until party cake is on your right. It will take you about 30 minutes.

MoiraRD Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 38

Thanks so much for the info! I plan on heading there tomorrow! I just may have to buy a boat to get there though!! icon_smile.gif I'll be sure to keep a watch out for those dust kitties! thumbs_up.gif

Moira

psurrette Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 38

HA HA let me know what you think......

PolishMommy Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 2:01am
post #19 of 38

Like you said, Susan is the local rep. Below is what she said in an email to me yesterday. The best thing to do is to join ICES and we can join in on the fun. Unfortunately, I'm booked up for weekends in January so I won't be able to go until at least March...

Email from Susan:
Thank you for your interest in ICES. In Mass we host 4 meeting/demos per year, the last Sunday in Jan., March, June and Sept. The details are not completed yet for the Jan meeting. When you join national ICES you will also receive 4 newsletters a year from Mass about a month prior to each event. There is usually a luncheon fee, under $20 for each meeting. All organized and advertised events for ICES have to go through our board of directors and members vote. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions. You can register as a member online at www.ices.org which is the fastest method.

Thank you,
Sue Johnson
Mass ICES Represenative

PolishMommy Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 4:51pm
post #20 of 38

I just noticed that ICES membership is $60. Ouch!!! I'll have to save up...

MoiraRD Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 38

Well, I made it to Party Cake Party Cake today!! What a FABULOUS store!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I felt like I was in cake heaven!! I am just beside myself!! I have never seen such a wide selection in my life! And they also give 10% off of the Wilton pans!! thumbs_up.gif

I am definitely going to go back there - probably early next week. I am making the Leafy and Luscious cake by Wilton for Thanksgiving and I need to get another 7" pan - the only store I have been to that carries that size! I also got some Chocolate Satin Ice for the cake.

Did I mention how thrilled I am to learn of this store?? Thanks so much, psurrette, for directing me to this store!!! icon_biggrin.gif I think I am going to head to Evie's tomorrow. Maybe I will get my other 7" pan there. My mother even mentioned that she will take a day off of work so we can go to Party Cake (she is a decorator too). Thanks again!!

Moira

psurrette Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 11:08pm
post #22 of 38

Did you buy any dust kitty's? I was there yesterday too it would have been funny if you were there the same time as me. Was the old man at the register? He calls everyone beautiful. And the other guy Ed knows everything about anything. I am glad you found what you wanted. Keep in mind when you go to make sure its not a Jewish holiday because they close. I have done that before. Happy Baking!

MoiraRD Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 12:40am
post #23 of 38

I did see the dust kitties! My husband was ready to take a shower when we got home. Yes, the old guy was behind th register. What a flirt he was! My 12 year old daughter was a bit leary of him when he greeted her with a "Hello, Beautiful". My 3 year old daughter just hid behind my leg the entire time. She wouldn't even look at him! icon_lol.gif

I could not believe how knowledgeable Ed was. I was very impressed. He had just finished packaging some Mercken's chocolate and he let us try it because I was asking him about it. He was a very nice man. I really enjoyed my shopping excursion and I can't wait to go back. My husband is in no hurry to return! I can't imagine why! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for the tip and I can't wait to head to Evie's!

Miora

jaitee69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaitee69 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 3:09am
post #24 of 38

Hi - I'm new here, but just thought I'd chime in as being from Western Mass, as well. I am hoping to someday get into the cake/chocolates business. Right now, I just do these for family, friends and my kids school events. I think I need more practice! Not doing them all the time tends to make me a little rusty. Anyhow, just thought I'd chime in. icon_smile.gif

MoiraRD Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 9:10pm
post #25 of 38

Hi jaitee69! icon_smile.gif

I am new here as well. I just love this site! I am completely addicted. icon_biggrin.gif

I just bake for my family as well. I am working on improving my skills too. There is lots of great information on this site and everyone is happy to help and share their knowledge.

Nice to see there are more people from MA joining! icon_smile.gif

Moira

psurrette Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 2:49pm
post #26 of 38

Hello, I am glad to see that there are more people from MA too!

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 8:33pm
post #27 of 38

I'm in the Fenway area of Boston and would be interested in a cake club.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 8:44pm
post #28 of 38

I would love to hear from anyone in the area that is an ices member.Curious to know what it is all about

kstgelais4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstgelais4 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 8:53pm
post #29 of 38

Hey MoiraRD, we are practically neighbors. We moved from Blackstone to Uxbridge a couple years ago, but my InLaws still live in Bellingham. Anyway, I am definately interested in a cake club too! I had posted this a while back, but only got a couple of responses.
I am definately going to have to check out that cake store as well. Sounds fun (and a money trap). I know this may be far for some of you, but in Cumberland, RI there is also another cake store (about 15 min from me) It is called Dyan's sweet tooth. If anyone wants directions PM me.
Kelly

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:25pm
post #30 of 38

I am also interested in finding a cake club in mass.

I feel like I'm not ready to join ICES just yet. (Plus, Christmas is draining the funds icon_sad.gif

Anyway, I'm from the south shore of Mass. Let me know if anyone decides to start up a club or finds an existing one that is open for new members. I'd love to join one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%