How Do I Make Spikes Out Of Modelling Chocolate !!!

Decorating By fasmin Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 1:27am by fasmin

fasmin Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 12:22am
post #1 of 9

I'm new to modelling chocolate and would like to know how to make thin spike like pieces with modelling chocolate?The white chocolate ones like in the pic attached below.

8 replies
alissan Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 12:34am
post #2 of 9

The spikes probably aren't modeling chocolate. It's chocolate spread evenly on a cellaphane sheet (I think) and allowed to cool but not completely then cut into spikes. I've seen it done but haven't actually done it myself.

Norasmom Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 12:36am
post #3 of 9

Yup, that's melted white chocolate candy melts (like mercken's or Wilton) spread thin on something called a chocolate transfer sheet. Then, after it cools a bit, it is cut into the desired shape. Very easy!

shanter Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 4:05am
post #4 of 9

You can make your own "chocolate transfer sheet" for this design by drizzling dark chocolate on a food-safe, heat-resistant flexible surface (say, a somewhat rigid piece of plastic or parchment paper) and let it harden. Then pour some melted white chocolate/candy melts at the side and spread it over the dark chocolate. Let harden, cut the shapes you want, and then take the plastic/paper to the edge of your counter/table and pull down, separating the chocolate from the substrate and catching it with a wide spatula/bench scraper/ wide putty knife.

fasmin Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks a ton...i'm so happy to receive the replies icon_smile.gif)))

Oh k so its not modelling chocolate icon_razz.gif

so will the white/semi sweet cooking chocolate work for melting?
And where can we get food safe rigid plastic sheet?

Thanks a lot all !

shanter Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 9

Well, I got mine from my cake store. You could look for a smooth flexible cutting board. I find the important thing is that it fold down over the edge of a counter or table.
You could try the parchment paper--it is fairly heat resistant. The chocolate doesn't have to be as hot as possible, just melted and pourable/dribble-able. Also, if you have a restaurant supply store near you, they might have one. Possibly you could find one at a Michael's or Joann's (with caking supplies) or Hobby Lobby if you have one or more of those.

Is there anyone else here who knows what I'm talking about and can help this person?

About the chocolate, I haven't tried it with semisweet or white chips. I've used Mercken's candy coating.

jgifford Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 9

I've done this with almond bark on a foil-lined cookie sheet. You just need to let it set until it holds its shape and you can lift it - foil and all - off the cookie sheet. Then just cut the shapes you want and peel the foil off. Make sure your foil is as wrinkle-free as possible.

LisaPeps Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 9

I use acetate sheets when doing chocolate work like this.

fasmin Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 1:27am
post #9 of 9

I tried it with cooking chocolate as i couldnt get the candy melts.i dint have the white chocolate so just made a plain spike.Thanks to all icon_smile.gif pic attached !

Quote by @%username% on %date%