White Cake Recipe And ?'s About Servings And Travel

Baking By coachjrob Updated 4 Feb 2012 , 3:36am by kakeladi

coachjrob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coachjrob Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 2

I'm REALLY new to all of this so I have a couple of questions.

First, I need to make a cake for a wedding shower. My aunt wants a white cake with raspberry filling and chocolate BC. Anyone out there have a really good, no fail, white cake recipe that isn't dry and tasteless? I've tried the one recipe from Wilton and it was gross. I looked at white cake recipes on this site and with over 1,000 I became overwhelmed very fast!

Next, she wants a cake to be a rectangle and it needs to serve 30 people. What size pan do I use and how many cups of batter will I need?

Finally, I plan on filling it with raspberry filling. I have to travel 6 hours with this cake in a cooler. I planned on making the cake, frosting, and filling at home and freezing everything, packing it in a cooler and traveling then thawing and decorating it when I arrive at my destination. My questions for this are: 1) Can I fill the cake then freeze it? and 2) I'm leaving on a Thrusday but don't need the cake until Sunday afternoon...will this idea even work without having a soggy gross cake? and 3) If this can work what night should I decorate it?

I've really been struggling with this cake for a while now. I've been "practicing" and nothing has turned out so far. I don't need to make the cake "for real" until April but I want to practice so it tastes good and looks pretty. I'm trying not to get frustrated but I could really use some help before I throw in the towel.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!
Jamie

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Feb 2012 , 3:36am
post #2 of 2

I can't help you w/the recipe as I bake w/box mixes. If you want to try the *original* WASC recipe it's greaticon_smile.gif Makes a really nice, moist, delicious cake.
To determine the # of servings from a rectangle pan, divide each measurement in 1/2 - example: 12x16 pan will provide 48 servings - each 2x2x2. A 9x13 yields 24 servings.
You should have no problem transporting the cake already fill, even iced icon_smile.gif If it's warm the day of transport, just turn on the air in the car. You probably don't even need to put a fzn cake in a cooler, but it won't hurt if you prefer to. Depending on what recipe - type of filling - used the cake should not have a problem being soggy.
I suggest decorating on Fri. That way if there is a problem you have time to correct it. If not, Sat is fine also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%