Buttercream Frosting Too Runny!

Baking By cake n bake Updated 3 Feb 2012 , 2:53pm by SimplySensationalSweets

cake n bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake n bake Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 6

So the other day i was making cupcakes and when i was doing the buttercream frosting i it was runny so i added another cup of powdered sugar and it was still too runny. So i didn't want to keep adding more sugar because i will get to sweet so i left it the way it was. Anyone have any ideas why my buttercream frosting was runny?

5 replies
Sarin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarin Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 6

Either your Butter was too soft.. Or you added too much Milk.. That's all I can think of. I assume you were making American Buttercream.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 6

Sounds like you added to much liquid - I cream the butter first (slowly). I don't add liquid all at once...little at a time to powder sugar. Takes a bit of practice but you'll get it!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 6

If your butter was too cold, you'll never get it firm. Happens to me when I get in a hurry making my cream cheese bc. If it's not room temperature, it will crust but it won't ever get firm enough to put on a cake. icon_confused.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

If your butter was too cold, you'll never get it firm. Happens to me when I get in a hurry making my cream cheese bc. If it's not room temperature, it will crust but it won't ever get firm enough to put on a cake. icon_confused.gif

I agree - too cold butter is the worst!

SimplySensationalSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensationalSweets Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6

What recipe are you using to make your buttercream?? I've tried many recipes and found one I love and I've stuck with it..great icing every time!

1 box of butter ( I usually use 2 sticks sweet cream butter and 2 sticks regular butter)
2# bag of XXX sugar
1Tbl. vanilla
2/3 C French vanilla coffee creamer

I cream my butter with the vanilla...then I start adding in my powdered sugar making sure it's mixed thoroughly before adding more...as it starts to dry out I add a little bit of the creamer and I do this until all the sugar is mixed in.

Sometimes I add the entire amount of liquid and other times I don't...it just depends on how the icing is working that day...

Hope this helps some! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%