Help!!! My Electronic Cutting Devices Doesn't Work.....

Decorating By NurseCake Updated 2 Feb 2012 , 5:50pm by sillywabbitz

NurseCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NurseCake Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating but I am really enjoying it icon_smile.gif! I recently bought a mini cricut cake cutting device and can't get it tou cut out anything. I tried to put the fondant in the freezer to make it firmer still just tears it up. I even tried to use gum paste still no luck icon_sad.gif ! Is it because I bought the smaller one that is not working for me or is there a better device that I should try I am work full time so I figured the electronic cutter would save me some time but so far its costing me more time icon_cry.gif

4 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

There is a big learning curve with electronic cutting devices. Search for cricut tips on here, there have been numerous threads discussing this before.

If you want a quick fix (albeit expensive), get some icing sheets and use those.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 5

No, It's not because it's a mini. It just takes some practice to get it to work. Depending on what you're cutting out will depend on the result and how thin you have to roll it. Anything intricate needs to be rolled very, very thin. A lot of people even use a pasta roller.

I just decorated a cake for my sister using almost exclusively my cricit cake mini. It's the first one in my gallery.

For mine, I made my fondant and added tylose powder. I rolled mine out so I could see the lines on the mat through the gumpaste. I also made sure to clean off the blade after every time using it. And wiping isn't enough. You need to get it wet (just the blade, not the blade casing) and wipe it off to get all the stickiness off.

Also make sure not to put too much shortening on the mat. (But not too little, either)

I roll my gumpaste out first, and then transfer it to the mat and roll it out more, and then put it in the cutter.

But I've found gumpaste, not fondant, rolled very thin, for sure works the best. And yes, putting it in the freezer helps a lot too. I didn't do it for my most recent one, though, because I was in a hurry and didn't want to take the time. =)

NurseCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NurseCake Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

Thank You ladies icon_smile.gif!!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 5

I just using icing sheets too. A little more expensive but a lot less aggravating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%