Need To Dye My Icing Green But Isnt The Right Shade Help!

Decorating By babygotcakee Updated 2 Feb 2012 , 5:28pm by TexasSugar

babygotcakee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygotcakee Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 5

I need to dye my icing grass green. when i do it with liquid food coloring it never comes out the right color its more like mint green. can you suggest a different coloring method or am i doing something wrong? thank you!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds like you are not using enough coloring. Add some more and wait up to 1 hours for it to develop to the shade you want.
Bytheway: you say your using liquid color....is that a bottle (or little plastic container) from the grocery store? If so that's you problem. You need to get paste/gel colors. They are available at Michael's Arts & crafts; Hobby Lobby; specialty cake supply shops and similar places.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 5

kakeladi is right...if you are using the stuff from the store you shouldn't use anymore....it will start making your frosting separate. invest in some Wilton colors like she said and you'll notice a big difference. if you already are using Wilton paste colors then you just need to add more!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 5

My local Walmart carries the wilton colors. Make sure to give your icing time to rest after you color it, the color will get darker as it sits some too. Happy Caking!!! Welcome to Cake Central!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 5

If you are using the gel or paste colors there are different shades so you may have to play to find the color you like best.

With the liquid stuff you get in the regular baking aisle at a grocery store, it can soften your icing, and you can't get the varied shades of color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%