Making Icecream Filled Cake Can I Frost With Regular Icing?

Decorating By babygotcakee Updated 3 Feb 2012 , 6:40pm by AnnieCahill

babygotcakee Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 5

Im making a regular cake and im going to fill it with ice cream. i want to frost and decorate but i know i have to keep in the freezer because of the ice cream. Im using icing Betty Crocker icing and making a buttercream transfer image. will this be ok to put in the freezer? one more question i am making a 9x13 inch cake do i cut it in half and fill or make 2 9x13 inch cakes? i want a nice ice cream to cake ratio a little more cake that ice cream any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

4 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

You can definately frost and then freeze the cake, I do it all the time (never have used store bought icing tho, I'm sure it'll still work) - the cake to ice cream ratio is based on preference. I'd torte the 9x13 cake and make an ice cream layer the same thinkness as each layer of cake. Good luck with your cake! icon_smile.gif

Delasdelights Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 5

A customer wants an ice cream filled cake, but its going to be covered in fondant. Is this possible?I feel if i put the fondant cake in the freezer it will be extremely hard and if i put it in the fridge the ice cream will make the cake soggy. If anyone has ever done this or has any pointers i'd greatly appreicate it.

KoryAK Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 5

You need to think that whatever icing you cover the cake in will be served frozen. Butter-based buttercream - ick. Whipped cream - yum. Just try freezing a little of the icing you'd like to use and then see how it is to cut and eat it.

AnnieCahill Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Kory. I would hate eating regular BC that's been frozen. I would also use a whipped cream-ish recipe.

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%